5.5 Lake Country white pads vs. Buff and Shine 5.5 white pads

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Socal Brian, May 27, 2013.

1. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

I'm considering picking up some white pads and the natural choice would be to go with the Buff and Shine white pads but I noticed in many writeups that the Lake Country white pad seems to be somewhat popular and I'm wondering if that pad is preferable to the Buff and Shine and I'm seeking input. Thanks in adavance for replies.

2. Socal Brian

No replies?

3. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Brian,

Sorry that no one has replied - perhaps they are like me and only have one of the two brands you asked about..

For more years than I can remember, Lake Country White Pads have been the "standard" for most projects and are still a great foam pad. They are strong, predictable, dont shred, and last forever.
    They are made in Wisconsin ! :)

Not sure who makes the Buff & Shine pads, but I only hear good things about them too...

Remember awhile back, even Menzerna was selling their brand of pads - wonder what ever happened to them? Perhaps they are still going strong in Europe?

That said, I have a pretty good amount of L/C white foam pads that will probably never get used again and have not been used for anything in my business for years..

As much as I do not like them, I have pretty much settled on the Lake Country Hydro-Shred Twins, Cyan and Tangerine for pretty much anything - well anything that is more normal, than say, Airplane paint, etc...
    The Hydro-Shred Cyan cuts really good for me on a Rotary, and finishes down almost or LSP ready many more times than not.
    The H/S Tangerine is excellent for softer paint like on a Lexus, etc... and finishes down even better. Im doing a 2002 SC430 Jet Black right now, and even with that nasty dealer applied lifetime sealer over dirty scratched paint, this pad has been a winner for me..

Would like to try the B&S pads someday when I am bored and have run out of the other zillion pads I already have.. :)

Good luck with this research !
    Dan F

4. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

I have a few of each but to be honest I haven't used them much. I use mostly B&S pads and I tend to skip straight from their green straight to the yellow if I need more cut. The white B&S pad is definitely firmer than the white LC. I'm not sure what the relative PPI counts are but I suspect the LC white is closer to a B&S green than their white. I'm fairly certain Ken Wilson (911Fanatic), Porta and probably Phil can give you more informed opinions than mine. IIRC Porta told me he like the B&S white more than the B&S green specifically because it is firmer.

I'm a DA only user and I'm really happy with the B&S/Uber pads. They are very durable and the coarser pads finish pretty well considering

5. Socal Brian

Thanks for your feedback Dan! I would be using them with the Griot's DA (no rotary) and primarily with paint cleaners, AIO's, and light polishes.

6. Socal Brian

Thanks for your reply Lost Highway. That is definitely helpful about the LC being softer than B&S (uber) white. That may be the better way to go on softer paints.

7. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

B&S in my experience is more robust and finishes better.

8. Socal Brian

Thanks for your input Thomas! I would have thought the reverse to be true since the B&S is firmer. That's great info!

9. richy

richy Guest

I use the Hell out of my white B/S and love them to death! Great with 205 or PF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Socal Brian

Great to hear this Richy! Thanks for your feedback.