4.5 hour Acura MDX

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by sneek, Nov 12, 2007.

1. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

As some of you may know I was supposed to detail a FG and an MDX today, but the FG was unavailable to be detailed, so just the MDX today. I hurried as much as possible and skipped a few things. (Window cleaning, interior stain removal, and wheel polishing)

I didn't even bring my PC along as I was planning on using the Rona tool for the whole detail. For those of you that don't know, it is a 4.0 AMP, 11,000 OPM beast. The throws are short and the vibrations are minimal if the pad is centered. Guess how much this tool costs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The leather was pretty yucky. Here is a 50/50 shot that I did!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For the most part I was able to take out the key marks, but the deeper parts could still be seen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :( Clear coat failure!!
    [​IMG]
    BUFFER SWIRLS+holograms!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Does any one know how to remove that black stuff from the gold plated Acura Logo? I tired clay and nevrdull and got nothing. I put on a coat of wax to keep it form getting any more junk on it.

Here is a video of me removing a key mark (stupid me left the big tripod at home so you can't see it, but yes...it does break down with 2 passes, your eyes are not deceiving you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPcbHv95UaA
    [youtube]PPcbHv95UaA[/youtube]

I will fix this write up after I finish studying. Sorry for the horrible pics. I need to learn how to take pictures...but only after I learn how to do stats haha.

2. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

:D thanks. I wish I had more time to work on it. What really sucked about this Acura is I had a feeling it had been repainted as the paint on the driver side doors was shrinking in. Plus the paint had dealership polishing job written all over it.

;) and yes Piet...I did this one for free.

Products used were:

Sonus White pads + OP + M02
    Sonus Yellow pad + M02 for deep key marks
    ONR wash
    Riccardo Clay
    Meguiar's trim dressing (although I did a pretty spotty job!)

This is the 1 of 2 girls that paid for that bear suit :) She is from Edmonton. Definitely one of my favorite people so I couldn't charge them anything.

3. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

[​IMG]

Did you sell your torso to the devil for detailing skills?
    Great job on that key mark!!!!

4. Nica

Nica Banned

Well done there sneek, vehicle looks much better. The leather looks great, that 50/50 picture really show's the difference you made to it.

Thank you for sharing...oh by the way in some pictures was it just me or did I see quite a bit of polish resedue? Almost made it look like holograms :confused: just wondering that's all.

No worries on the quality of the pictures buddy, I too wished I could take better pictures...but onen thing at a time ;)

5. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Those were holograms...That pic is out of order...it should have been in the befores. too tired to fix it so I just labeled it.

EDIT: some of them I have not wiped off the polish. The keying ones I have not wiped it off. I need to fix the write up, but I will do that tomorrow.

6. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh no worries sneek, I knew that in some of the pictures the polish was still there. But the vehicle had some wicked holograms huh :wall::wall:

How did the Rona tool hold up? Looks like it did well :thumb:

7. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

It did very well. I don't really plan on using my PC anytime soon. It finishes like a rotary, but there is no second polishing needed. I really like it, definitely worth what I paid for. I need to get more pads. The sonus ones were only okay. I centered one poorly and the vibration was 100X worse than even the PC. It was skipping! I think the Menzerna 5" pads is what I need. *sigh* more money to spend.

8. Nica

Nica Banned

Finish like a rotary huh..mmm..interesting. I could lend you a set of Menzerna pads if you'd like to try them out see if they will work with the machine. Besides I got a few Menzerna pads coming in shortly :thumb:

Oh come on you know you love purchasing detailing products :wicked:

9. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Super work Pat, glad you posted this one since we had been talking about the MDX the other day. Really nice work, that green came out looking flawless! No outside full shots?

PS: I won't guess on the price of the tool since you already told me, HAH!

10. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

im curious what these cost.. pat you going to spill the beans? or do i have to go hastle my little bro next time he works? Ill make himfund something i dont know whaty it looks like or what it costs

11. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Nice job :D those were some bad key marks.

12. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Calgary: it cost ...are you ready to get your walet out.....50 beans
    haha. It is a great tool for a great price. Next time we have a DB meet I will have to bring it along. It has a 3 year warrenty and it is $50...can you go wrong? I cannot stress enough that centering the pad is a crutal part of reducing vibration. With a off center pad, it was rougher than a night in jail.

Piet: No full shots :(. I was in a hurry! I will try to get some in a few weeks or whenever she comes back.

13. Calgarydetail

50 bucks..really.. wow im really interetd now :D

14. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Rougher than a night in jail, I like that!

15. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

PS: you can see it in the video...it is hidden at the bottom of the first post.
    I will do a review on it once I get a chance.

Most of my Midterms have been rougher than a night in jail! :devil::(

16. Calgarydetail

welcome to school, theres a reason im looking at changing my major.. ok so its really casue i want to do something i like more ;)
    Ill hae to check the video out again

17. Nica

Nica Banned

Hey sneek I just saw the video wicked video :thumb:

Too bad you forgot your tripod though but the Rona tool looks and sounds interesting..yea your going to have to bring it next time we have a DB get together...which I think should be some time in December or so.

Thanks for the video and $50 for that tool is not bad...oh question that's a sander right? So you can still use it as a sander...if that is the case that tool could come in real handy when sanding an entire vehicle...mmm...but then again how many times will a request to sand an entire vehicle come through..stil though intereting tool and for the price it's not a bad tool.

18. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

I am not sure you would want to use it to sand a car. Maybe your door, or a table. I would definitely get an get an air D/A for that ( I am saving up for the a compressor should be under $3000). The sander is pretty cool, literally because they vac is disconnected so it just blows out hot air, helping cool the pad. I ran the machine just about 3 hours straight and it didn't heat up at all.

PS: I realized I have your extension cord and you have mine. :p I was plugging it in today and it said Carlos :p

19. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh really...what the orange extension cord? hmmm...that's strange man that's from the airplane we did hahahaha I haven't even touched the orange extension cord for a wile now hahahaha

No biggie I got to pick up the other stuff on Friday from your place anyways I'll bring your extension cord as well lol.

20. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Nice work there :D Car looks good