3M UltraFina

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Cooter, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Whats everyones thoughts on 3M's UltraFina??? I've seen some good comments about it. Is it something you'd add to your arsenal. Where is a good place to purchase some??
    Thanks,
    Heath:thinking:

2. maesal

maesal Birth of a Detailer

Ultrafina is great. Easy to use, 0 dust, great finish, etc... I use Menz Final Finish or Ultrafina depending on the colour.

3. Nica

Nica Banned

I agree with maesal, I got a few products from 3M and Ultrafina is one of them. They work quite well, best of all they are not temperature dependent and most importantly they deliver :thumb:

I'd recommend them, as to where to get them um...this is just my opinion but I purchased some locally through the 3M vendor and I tried it, it worked okay but nothing special. Rich from Polished Bliss has the exact same product and I thought to try it out as my friend Gerry tells me that the UK is about 10years ahead on the paint industry. Well I got some in from Rich and used it and I felt it different compared to the bottle I purchased locally :confused: maybe it was just me but I noticed the difference. I mean I could work it longer, cover a larger surface area with smaller amount but I need to play with it some more as I could have been hallucinating when I used it :confused:

Just my :2cents: on it product though.

4. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

Interesting Nica, I am very interested and might try to find a 3m dealer and try some out.

Just one question, this is considered a finishing polish that I can follow up a more aggressive polish with?

5. Nica

Nica Banned

If I'm not mistaken the Ultrafina line has a more aggresive polish (just can't recall the name but something about Extra Cutt compound and extra fine compound but not a 100% sure on teh names), the ones that I currently have are the 3M Perfect-it III Extra Fine Compound and the 3M Perfect-it III UltrafinaSE. This stuff works great, but I've only used it here and there...I'll be using a bit more coming up so I can get a better feel of it, but so far no complaints here.

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Nica, I have been playing around with it for about a week now and it is a very nice finishing polish. I feel it looks better than the 85rd or 106ff, plus it is alot easier to work with.

7. Nica

Nica Banned

Yes, I agree with you :thumb: it gives really nice results and it makes for a great back up plan...heck it could even replace 85RD or 106FF like you said. I'm looking forward on using more of 3M products. For the longest time I kept putting of using there products becuase the old formula had fillers, the new stuff though is completely different and I look forward on using more of the Ultrafina line up :cheerl:

8. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I like the pads also, might have to have you get me some of the 6 inch pads:joint:.

9. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

Ultra Fina has become my go to finishing polish. I even have learned how to love the 8" 3M blue polishing pads. Like Nica said you can work it for what seems to be forever.

From Ryan on how to work UF:

Once you have it spread around on the panel.

Work it into the paint at 800-1000 for about a min. No pressure.

Increase up to 1500 and work it as long as you need. Apply moderate pressure.

Finish with it back down at 800. No pressure.

10. zoomzoom mazda5

zoomzoom mazda5 Wax on..Wax off

All i see and hear is great thing's about 3M Ultrafina, and by the way Happy Birthday Bryan!

11. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

It's my understanding 3M UF was designed to be used with a rotary...

has anyone tried it with a DA?

12. zoomzoom mazda5

zoomzoom mazda5 Wax on..Wax off

I'm hoping to get a small sample someday from someone and try it using a UDM, but all i know it's for use with a rotary.

13. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Subscribed...

thanks!!!

14. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

I have a limited qty in stock. let me know if you are interested.

15. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

So, a comment was made about it not being temperature dependant.

I'd like to explore that further. In the summer in Northern California, it gets pretty hot. I've definately confirmed the Menzerna products do not like an over 90 degF ambient low humidity envrionment. Even fully shaded and freshly cooled by a wash.

How does the Ultrafina react to such a hot dry environment for polishing?

16. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

Never have used the UF in extreme heat yet. No problem at all when it's cool out....50°f is the lowest temp I have used it in so far.

17. Nica

Nica Banned

That's what I've been trying to find out as well, I've used it in temperatures about 20C (68F) and it has behaved really good. I want to use it where the humidity is high and I got a place for that :thumb: but I haven't had a chance to experiment with it. When I do I'll share the resutls :peace: but if anyone here has experimented with it please share.

18. vxrmarc

vxrmarc Two Bucket System Washer

Well i have to admit i love ultrafina aswell as most of the 3m range....Infact i will go asfar as saying now that menzerna basically sits on the shelf........I fnd that Menz products are just too fussy for me and i never ever know what i am going to get especially if the weather is mildly damp which it is here alot.....Menz is a good product but only in prfect conditions and i would hate to think of it in high temperatures.

What i love most about 3m is the time it stays open for me and it isnt fussy about temperatures especially fine and extra fine compound and more recently fast cut plus...

I will be sticking with 3m now to be honest.

19. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I had an 8oz sample, but I cant find it! DANG IT!

They have 3m "finess-it" brand at a shop nearby but Im sure its not the same thing.

20. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Ok, so now you all have me thinking 3M polishes are something I really need to try, well after I figure out if they perform well with a DA that is...

So, with that said - any other 3M polishes besides UF I should keep my eye out for?