3M product recommendations...

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Carn, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Hi guys I am new here. Introduced myself over in the Now that you're here section :woot:

Was wondering if anyone with a bit of knowledge on the 3M products can give me some advice as to what products in their range I could make use of. I am an avid car enthusiast and am do the odd detail in my spare time, not quite as professional as some of you guys on here :worship:

I have used the consumer grade Meguiars and then mainly the professional Sonax products. I have seen some of the results from the 3M range (Ultrafina I think) and was well impressed but am clueless as to the make up and functionality of their range :paranoia:

I am looking for a recommendation as far as a polish and clay, polishing pad/s and then some finishing sealants, ect....Anyone care to lend me some advice on what I should go for :yippie:

2. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

Since you are using Sonax proline I am guessing that you are living in Europe?

My favourite from 3M is extra fine cut, 80439. This is a multiversital compound/polish. Top notch!

I must say that I like the Sonax nanopolish as well.

EDIT

Now did I see that you come from South africa. How much cost Sonax proline compared to 3M i SA?

3. Carn

Not sure on the cost differences Porta as I am not sure what products in their range to go for.....Was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction

4. Nica

Nica Banned

I'd recomend these two:

3M Perfect-it III Extra Fine Compound and 3M Perfect-it III UltrafinaSE.

I've used these two and they work great :thumb:

5. Carn

Thanks Nica, what pads do you recommend to go with it ?

See 3M has a regular compunding pad (black) and then the high gloss Ultrafina polishing pad....

Also what type of all round wax compliments the 3M polishes nicely for a wide variety of colours ?

6. Nica

Nica Banned

Well for pads, I'm liking the 3M pads oooh definetly get the 3M backing plate they are lovely bacaking plates. But you could also use the Meg's pads, Menzerna pads, Lake Country pads those pads I have personaly used and they work great...but mind you I haven't used the Menzerna pads with 3M, I've used the 3M polish with 3M pads, Lake Country and Meg's pads and it peformed well. Nice thing about the 3M pads is how soft they are, the orange 3M pad which I belave is the compounding pad is really stiff and you should be carefull with it around edges and getting close to certain areas you could damage certain areas if you get to close to them.

As for wax, I've been using a large range of them...from Victoria Wax, Zymol, Meg's..ect..ect..to me they all seemed to work fine with 3M polish..but that's just my personal opinion. Hope it helps.

7. Rydawg

Rydawg Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Is it the UK version 80349?

8. Nica

Nica Banned

Yes, Rich from Polihed Bliss UK was kind enough to send the 3M UK version...I'm not sure on the number though, I can double check...I get all confused with the numbers so I call them by there names instead :shrug: just me though.

9. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

Ryan, I have a bottle of 3M 80439 for you :woot:

But I have trouble finding time to send it.

10. Rydawg

Rydawg Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thanks Porta!:applause2:

I'll send you an email.

11. maesal

maesal Birth of a Detailer

Also, 50417 Fast Cut Plus is top notch. Great cut, it doesn't hide at all after a IPA wipedown, it breaks down ~fast and with an orange pad is very dificult to see any hologram.

12. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

Sounds good!

13. Nica

Nica Banned

Good info maesal as I've been reading a bit on this one as well, thanks for the number it will come in handy :thumb:

14. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I think these are the ref nos-
    3M™ Perfect-It™ 3000 Ultrafina™ SE (US) 06068 / Ultrafina SE (UK) 50383

15. maesal

maesal Birth of a Detailer

You're welcome Carlos. Is a great polish !!