3M Perfect it III backing Plate

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Danny, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Hey guys I wanted to make a new thread on this to possibly get more hits. I am wondering is this backing plate really worth the price. I have seen others like it such as the one from CG, Gloss it, Autogeek, Rubbish Boys, etc. I am wondering how these hold up to the 3M performance and durability wise. I just want to justify me purchasing the 3M vs one of the others that cost less. I just won a Makita 9227C today on Ebay but am waiting for a reply from the seller before I send payment for it. This is the reason I made this thread so I can get a 5" foam backing plate to go with the pads I already have.

2. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I own the gloss it bp and I haven't had any issues. It's a really nice bp. I can't comment on the other ones. I really like look of the new Sonax that's coming out.

3. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Did you mean cant comment on the others or can? Also any idea if the Sonax one is already available and the price?

4. GDAL

GDAL Guest

My bad ... I meant I can't comment.

5. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

It cool thanks either way

6. advs1

advs1 DB Forum Supporter

i have the 3m and the CG backing plates. still prefer the 3m over the cg. the 3m just seems more giving, works great on everything i have used it on.

7. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Best BP I have ever owned. Money well spent IMHO!

8. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

I have owned the 3M one and the Gloss-it ones. They are both great, but the GI ones are better deals imo. I picked it up for about 55 shipped with both 5 and 3 inch backing plates.

GI backing plate doesn't feel like it's of better quality but I think it performs the same.

9. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Thanks guys hopefully I get some more replies on this.:)

10. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

EVOLVE_4R

The CG ones you have are they these ^?

11. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I am planning on buying the Elite BP from Elite in UK

12. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Can you provide me a link if you dont mind thanks.

13. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

Elite 125mm Pro Ultra Soft M14 Backing Plate - Elite Car Care

I would not buy this one since it can be easy to break, the velcro can break up the foam, just like the Scholl concepts backing plates.

This is a much better backingplate Liquid Shine - 125mm Pro Ultra Soft M14 Backing Plate - Elite Car Care and they are both manufactured by the same company - Flexipads.

I have both and can take some pictures if you want?

14. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

The second one looks like the CG one EVOLVE_4R_ROTARY_

Do you think they are made by the same company? Also its on sale from $24 to $18 today so I guess I will get this most likely.

15. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Well I went ahead and placed the order for the CG one I posted in the previous post, since it was at such a good price. It has one good review so hopefully its a good BP and lasts me. Even if only lasts a few correction jobs it only cost me $25 in total, because of shipping. Over all I am happy with my purchase thanks guys for all you help on both my threads.

16. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

you will be SO MUCH happier polishing with this thing on

17. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Glad to here this cant wait to do some correction work:)

18. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

I can almost guarante that the backing plate is manufactured by Flexipads, but I have also seen that american buffing is selling the backing plate. Maybee they cloned it or are manufacturing it on license? Or maybee they are buying it from Flexipads.

Anyway, its a great piece of backing plate and it will perform just as good as the more expensive from 3M.

19. pecka13

pecka13 Birth of a Detailer

But it might not last long? why is that. WHat happens to these backing plates?

20. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I was just saying that in case if it doesn't last long it wouldn't be like I spent alot of money on it. I an sure it will last as long as any other backing plate, I was just justifying my purchase:)