3M Backing Plate

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Nica, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Nica

Nica Banned

Some of you may remember me purchasing some 3M backing plates from Europe, now I know some of you were asking me where you could get some and I honestly did not know. Well all the searching lead to me here:

http://www.cartersconsumables.co.uk...female-thread-backuppad-velcro-fac-p-558.html

I've been speaking with Rich, owner of Polished Bliss UK and he's going to be placing a large order from 3M UK and I've got a few of them coming my way.

One thing to note is that these are the 5/8th thread, the one's I currently use are M14 so I had the machine shop make me a spindle extension, same as the one that My Metabo came with and re-threaded it to link the two together and it looks something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some pictures of what it looks like with the Menzerna Orange foam pad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and here are some more pictures in action:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been using the spindle extension for a wile now and I actually like the seperation between the foam pad and the Metabo, when I get the new 3M backing plates with the 5/8th thread I'm going to have to get used to not having that gap in between :rollinglaugh:

Oh and when I receive the 5/8th backing plate you know I'll post pictures ;)

One last thing, you might be wondering what's so great about these backing plates? Well see that extra foam between the backing plate and the velcro? Well that extra foam is very flexible, gives you a nice even pressure through out the pad (that can bee seen by the "in action" pictures). It's quite nice actually, specially going around edges, no fear of putting to much pressure on an edge. But that's just my opinion.

2. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

:buffer: very cool, looks like it works realy well :awesome:

3. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

That extension looks like the 3m buff-it one you need for their wool pads but shorter.

4. Nica

Nica Banned

Yea, same idea but it's exactly the same as the extension that comes with the Metabo. Boy I'm glad that was there :rolleyes: because otherwise it would have taken me a few hours to come up with something to give to the guys at the machine shop.

5. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

do you own the shop, I worked in one when I was a teenager and again in my twenties to help with the cost of my race engines, still eneded up costing over 30k for each. Plus my dad has a huge woodworking shop as a hobby. Now if I convert everything over to use with metal.

6. Nica

Nica Banned

Technically I'm part owner but I'm more of a silent parter ;) I just visit and collect my share :awesome:

Race engines :thumb: what kind of engines? Got any pictures?

7. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I was big in the Mustang racing in the late 80's, early 90's. Was stroking 302 to a 352 making around 1100 hp still efi. It was an 88 gt i bought new and took it from there. I was in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. Raced on the east coast. It was a 10 inch tire car I drove on the street also. Also made The Washington Post for street racing. Sorry no pictures, sold everything in 94. I was just one of about a dozen that went that extreme that quickly with the technology at the time. I am starting to get the itch again.

8. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Man that's a long extension :p it sounds like a nice backing plate.

9. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

So the ones in the link will work with the Metabo?

10. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Is there only ONE size available?
    whats the diff between grey and yellow?

11. Nica

Nica Banned

Yes the 5/8th thread 3M Backing Plate will work with any rotary.

From what I've seen so far there is only one size of Backing Plate available with the extra cusion/sponge in the middle. I've yet to see a larger one.

Grey and Yellow? Backing Plate? I don't see it bro? I think I'm miss understanding what your asking.

12. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

HEres what Mark had to say about the 2 colors!

"Hi Phil
    The Yellow foam is more dense and would ideally be used when compound
    polishing to breakdown the compound faster.

The grey foam is a lot softer and more for polishing & finishing mop heads,
    it's also ideal for cured profiles as the grey foam with conform a lot more
    to the surface than a yellow foam.

Kind Regards

Mark"