3M Automotive Performance Masking Tape: different?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by MisterShark, Oct 21, 2009.

1. MisterShark

MisterShark Birth of a Detailer

Is 3M's dedicated automotive tape any different from their regular blue painter's tape that you can purchase at any Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware store?

I tried looking it up on 3M's site to do a little research but couldn't find it.
    If it's truly better-suited for the job at hand then I'll go out of my way to get some, but if not: the blue stuff sure is more accessible and readily available.

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I like the stickiness of the blue tape, but it tears VERY easily. Its nowhere near as easy to work around emblems etc. Get the green.

3. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

I reallly cannot see how you can improve on tape other than changing it's colors. I suppose it would be better if it didn't leave tape marks on the paint afterwards. How much exactly is the automotive one compared to the regular painter's tape?

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

They are made for two different surfaces. Blue was made to be put on house paint, thus it has a lower adhesion than automotive tape as house paint is more prone to pealing. Green automotive tape has a higher level of adhesion but also a little thinner, as primary reason for tape in automotive application is to mask off area's in painting thus paint lines is your main concern. The higher adhesion level is due to the fact that car paint is not easy to peal up, also the higher adhesion level helps keep it in place around curves.

3m also has a beige colored automotive paint which I think is higher adhesion level than green...or it may be lower. But automotive tapes are rated by adhesion level and how clean of a paint line it leaves. For example they have a yellow tape that is there best tape for paint lines.

5. G:Luv

G:Luv Any Rag Vehicle Washer

For anybody who's interested in more detail about the various kinds of automotive tapes from 3M, here's a link: Masking Tapes .

6. MisterShark

Thanks all for chiming in.

Now I just need to find a place to locally purchase it. I'm not going to pay 2x the price because of shipping.

7. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Try an auto parts store like Auto Zone or similar. It's usually back in the back, near the other bodywork stuff, like bondo, spray paint, and so on.

8. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Walmart also carries 3m tape in the automotive section were they have paint and what not.

9. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Cheapest place I've found is my local Napa. $2.xx for 3/4" width.

10. MisterShark

Giddyup!

I have a Wally World (though I generally avoid it when possible), Napa and Auto Zone not far off.
    Between the three I should be able to score :)

11. G:Luv

If you strike out locally, PM me, since I can get my hands on some of the green & yellow tape.

12. MisterShark

Chris, is that you?

13. G:Luv

Nope!

14. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

The green tape is so much better than the blue. You should be able to get the green at walmart, as I have seen it there before. good luck!

15. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

i've checked the paint section before, and they only have blue. is it somewhere else?

16. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Hmm, it is in the automotive paint section. Look around were all there car stuff is like oil and ext, should be a section were they have spray paint, bondo and solvents, and what not that is were you will find it. It will not be in the home paint section.

17. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Right next to the Armor All lol.

It's in their "auto care" section.

18. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

It should be right where agpetel says it is. because thats where I get prep-all from, and its right near it.