303 Protectant - Foul Smell

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by CG SoCal, Nov 25, 2011.

1. CG SoCal

CG SoCal Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Anyone else have this problem? My bottle of 303 Protectant is several years old, which could be the problem, but man it has a foul odor. So bad, i don't use it on the interior, just the engine bay.

Before picking up a fresh bottle, wanted to know if this is typical of the product as it ages?

TIA

2. AutoObsessed

AutoObsessed Dealers

We had a bad batch shipped to some time back and the case just foul. We had returned them to for replacements. I have not ever seen / heard of it going bad and I persoanlly have some left from a 4 liter jug that is 10+ years old and still smells like it should.

I would suspect that you got a bad bottle, the ones we had kinda smelled like BO, and there is no way you could drive with the windows up.

3. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

Yay mike from auto aesthica warned me of this

4. CG SoCal

CG SoCal Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Exactly! Its horrible BO smell that is just plain nasty and there is no mistaking the awful smell. I guess I have a bad batch then. Anyone else run into this issue?

5. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

Mine stinks as well. I have half a gallon of stinkiness so I use it for fender wells and engines and tires

6. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

This is precisely why I have never been endeared to the 303 product in the first place - it always smells "not good" to me.
    I understand, a lot of users swear by it and all, but I have never liked the smell and therefore, dont ever use it.

Dan F

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I agree that it doesn't smell like peaches but it smelling bad enough to start a post about it makes me think something is clearly off...

8. Mine never smelled

9. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

Was it left in a hot garage? Could the different temp's affect it?

10. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

I think it smells like the sweaty gym clothes my son leaves in his locker way too long before bringing them home to be washed. Like musty body odor. And i have gone through a gallon jug and several 32 oz bottles and they all smelled. So there would have to be a lot of bad batches out there.
    I stopped using it on interiors even though no one had ever complained. My wife does not smell it at all. I think it depends on your sense of smell. She absolutely can not stand the smell of the Lexol leather conditioner, but it just smells like a new leather coat to me.

11. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

I just ordered 32oz. but will only use it for the engine.