25 hours on 04 Cayenne Turbo

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by d00t, Nov 12, 2009.

1. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Finished this car a few weeks ago, but have been slamemd so I'm a little behind.

I was contacted by the owner who had some concernes about scratches on the roof pilar. Turns out, there was scratches all over the car, and being a very meticulous car guy, he wanted almost every single scratch paid attention to. Now, the scratches were deep, easily caught with a fingernail. But he has had horrible experiences in the past with body shops, and the whole car would need a repait to make it 100% perfect again, but this wasn't in the cards for this car, or the owners wishes. So after explaining, that I can level the scratches out and minimize the reflection of the scratches, so they aren't as noticeable.

Along with the wetsanding, the car was giving a complete interior and exterior detail. Sorry, no befores as I started early morning under low cloud cover, and the car was relatively clean.

So lets start with the wheels:

Cleaned with Poorboys Spray and Rinse, P21S Wheel Gel, and P21S TAW, with various brushes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the wheels are fairly clean, but the barrels can use some attention.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting the calipers as well:

[​IMG]

Everything looking as it should:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moving on to the wash. Used a 3:1 mixture with half Citrus Wash and Clear, and half Optimum Power Clean, then carried out a two bucket was with more CWC before pulling the car into the garage for a clay with ONR as lube, and Riccardo Yellow.

[​IMG]

In this picture, you can see the swirls in the bottom rght:

[​IMG]

Obviously, someone's been here!

[​IMG]

And some more that were taken after I had started polishing, but lighting was just right to capture some swirls:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the scratches on the roof pillar I mentioned:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First thing I did, measure the paint:

[​IMG]

Plenty to work with, on with the sanding! I used Meguiars UniGrit 2000 then 3000 on the roof pillar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then used a 3" PFW with 3M FC+ at 2000rpm, and followed up later with 3M UK Green Pad and FC+, 3M UK Yellow and 3M EFC, and finally 3M UK Blue and M205.

[​IMG]

Imperfect 50/50:

[​IMG]

Scratches greatly minimized and mostly removed:

[​IMG]

The final polishing bill was what was stated above for the entire car. When I'd hit some scratches with 1500 then 2000 then 3000 I would use a Meguiars so1o yellow wool pad, then the above process.

Here's a scratch I found on the hood:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not 100% removed, but significantly reduced:

[​IMG]

A deep scuff on the passenger side front door:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were sanded with 1500>2000>3000.

(notice the chip in the befores, and then notice its in the exact same place for the afters--there is no "camera trickery" here...)

[​IMG]

Moving on to scratches above door handle:

[​IMG]

Gone:

[​IMG]

Yes, even corrected the roof!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tail lights were polished same as the paint.

Notice the clarity and crisp reflections in the right light:

[​IMG]

And lack of clarity/crisp reflections:

[​IMG]

Every trim piece on the car is either metallic silver painted, or brushed aluminum finish. EXCEPT these pieces on the rear windows. BUT, the were corrected just like the rest of the car!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After compounding and polishing the entire car. I wanted to go the extra mile and really amp the gloss. I used M205 on a 3M UK Blue finishing pad, with extremely slow and steady passes.

[​IMG]

Notice the lack of swirling and perfect sun "dot" reflection on the C pillar:

[​IMG]
    (the reason it's dark is because in order to capture swirls on this paint, I had to use a polarizer filter)

I think it needs a wash...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I brought it out and foamed with a CWC/APC micture to remove all polishing oils:

[​IMG]

Now that I had finished the correction I turned my attention to all the "details" and interior. First up was the wheels. They were polished with ZAIO, and sealed with Swissvax Autobahn. Wheel wells and tires got Megs HD 3:1.

[​IMG]

Glass was polished with Werkstat Prime Strong, and sealed with Acrylic.

[​IMG]

Engine bay wasn't dirty, just dusty. So after a quick clean up, I dressed all plastics with Poorboys Trim restorer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same goes with the black grilles, as there's plenty on the front of this Cayenne to keep as much cool air flowing to both turbos!

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

A rich, deep black grille:

[​IMG]

The door jambs were cleaned, and then polished/sealed with Danase Wet Glaze.

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(rear door jamb hose was treated once the door was opened)

Rubber seales were fed with 1Z Gummi Pfledge:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to the interior. It was vacuumed, leather cleaned/conditiond/protected with leather masters trio. Plastic portions of the dash were treated to 303 Protectant. Wood polished with ZAIO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pedals cleaned with APC 7:1

[​IMG]

Interior Afters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final afters!
    (note: the sun was going down.. I finished this car on Sunday of daylight savings and said I was going to take pictures that afternoon... but forgot the sun was going down at 5 instead of 7!!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]\

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LSP:

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

As always, C/C Welcome!

:peace:

Aaron

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Great job! Those deeper scratches came out looking good, can barley notice them now...bet the owner was very pleased that you were able to take care of them. Those little details really pay off like the door jambs, cant count how many "clean" cars I have seen till they open the doors and the jambs are dirty as no other. Nice work!

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Looks sweeeeeet! Nice job Aaron.

4. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

wow that's a lot of time that paid off really well!

5. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Great job Aaron. Awesome write up and great job in explaining your process to achieve those great results you get. People will learn alot from your write ups, now I just need you to show me how to be patient enough to do the same when I do a write up.

6. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

That PB's trim restorer looks incredible

7. Nikku

Nikku Jedi Nuba

Aaron ! Great work. You're getting better and better with your camera work and write-ups with each passing write up, not to say they were not good before you've just improved your game so much more. You're picking up some amazing speed :) What did you use on the Tips? They look flawless. Keep em coming!

8. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Great job Aaron! Love the work and the write up. I love reading a good write up as much if not more than the pics. Now if we can teach Asphalt to do write ups like this we will have accomplished something, LOL. Really love the look of the Blackfire combo. The first time I used it was on dark blue and it looked great. Now I know it looks phenomenal on silver as well. Of course your polishing skills really helped the Blackfire look phenomenal as well.

9. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Nice Job! :thumb:

10. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

wow looks great, I may have missed it but what lighting did you use to pick up the swirls?

11. richy

richy Guest

Aaron..it's going, it's going...it's GOOOONNNNEEE...Dude, you hit that out of the park and into the next state! Fantastic job and very thorough write-up. Excellent work!!:worship2::worship2:

12. kei169

kei169 Wax on..Wax off

Nice Aaron!
    Btw, where did u get the BP? is that the RB one? How do like those?

Kei

13. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

amazing work, Aaron! I always take extra time to enjoy watching those details of yours. Question, does Porsche Cayenne have hard clear? Please don't tell me it's sticky...I like this Porsche SUV so much, I have hard time deciding between Porsche and BMW X5 SUV...I want both of them!!!

14. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

looks great.

15. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

That's a lot of time spent, fantastic work!

16. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Great attention to detail. Like the extra time spent on the little stuff that truly make a proper detail. Engine and door jams look great.

17. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Looks super Aaron! Your last few shots are great!

18. d00t

Thanks Ken!

Thank you!

Thanks a lot, Dana! Doooo it! It used to take me about 1.5 hours to do these.. after learning a specific type of flow, I can get them done in 30-45 mins :thumb:

Sure does!

Thanks a lot, Nick! Really appreciate it! I used P21S Polishing soap :thumb:

Thanks a lot JL! Yeah, Dana needs to hop on the write-up bandwagon... Wait a second. YOU TOO! Get on those!

Also, I first used Blackfire Fire/Ice on my dark silver metallic s2000. It's not my go-to on any silver metallic. Not only is the flake pop unreal, the depth and gloss shown through by adding the 'nuba is outstanding! And it's so easy to use!

Thanks!

Thanks! A combo of 1000w halogens, and my trusty brinkman!

Thanks a lot, Richy!!

Thanks, Kei! I switch between the GI and RB backing plate based on the type of correction I'm after. RB is great for compounding and medium/heavy polishing. The GI is the best for jeweling and light polishing as the soft foam in the BP allows for easy pressure moderation.

Thanks a lot! It was actually pretty hard. I'd say about the same as BMW. Not sticky, thank god!! If I were you, these Turbo's can be had for CHEAP now-a days. Get some software, and turbo upgrades/exhaust like this one, and the owner said he's right around 550whp. Not bad, it scoots!

Thanks

Thanks a lot!

Thanks, Moe!

Thank you, Denzil!

19. d00t

Sorry, missed your post!

Thanks a lot! He was very impressed.. he's probably buying a boxster this winter as a track bi*ch and something to mod for fun.. I'll be seeing that one too!