2012 Audi S5 Corrected and Opti-Coated by Anthony Onorato in NJ

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Anthony Onorato, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Anthony Onorato

Anthony Onorato Any Rag Vehicle Washer

The Audi 5-series is one of my all-time favorite vehicles, so they're a pleasure to work on for me...despite the frustrations the paint gives me. The 2012 S5 to me, is the perfect car. A wonderful balance of luxury/class and performance...with the added growl of a V8.

The owner of this S5 has excellent taste...Black on black, performance exhaust, some suspension work done...all while keeping a low-profile look. I can only imagine what a beast this thing is.

Anyway, when I initially inspected the car, it was 3 days after a dealership "detail." The car was definitely polished as there were buffer trails all over the place, swirls, RIDs...you name it. Originally me and the owner agreed on a one-step polish...but I didn't get anywhere near the results that I wanted...so I went ahead with a two step. M101/MF and Sonax 3/6 on a hydrotech seemed to do the job well. The Rupes LHR15ES made the work much less exhausting as well...I love this polisher. I actually broke out the Flex 3401 on a few of the curves where I had trouble correcting with the Rupes.

The vehicle has a 3M clear bra that has seen better days...it's definitely due for replacement already...I corrected what I could to make it better but it was very stubborn and I didn't want to push any limits on it. The wheels also had some oxidation or staining on them, I'm assuming from strong acid wheel cleaners at the dealership...I'm going to head to the owner's place and see if there's anything I can do about it, perhaps a light hand polish will help.

As for the pictures...I did the best I could, but I pretty much put my head down and worked straight through on this beast as weather was terrible the whole week.(Any of you guys in the North East can attest to that, I'm sure you feel my pain!)

On to the detail!

Products Used:
    CG Mr. Pink Shampoo
    Meguiar's APC+
    Wheels cleaned with Sonax FE Wheel Cleaner
    Glass cleaned with Adam's Glass Cleaner
    M101 on Meguiar's MF cutting
    Sonax 3/6 Nano on LC Tangerine Hydrotech
    Paint, wheels, and trim coated with Opti-Coat 2.0
    Glass coated with Opti-Glass
    Tires dressed with CG VRP II
    Wheel wells dressed with CG Bare Bones Undercarriage Spray
    ONR(clay lube)
    Meguiar's Mild Clay
    ONR(detail spray)

As the car arrived:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of the defects were hard to capture when I originally took the pictures...as you can see by the amount of clouds that kept blocking the sun:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buffer trails plagued the whole car...my favorite defect on customer vehicle's as it shows the results of production detailers:
    [​IMG]

The obligatory 50/50 shot:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

Sonax FE doing it's thing on the wheels:
    [​IMG]

Foamed the vehicle with a mixture of CG Mr. Pink and Meguiar's APC+ in my MTM cannon to strip any polishing oils and remove polishing dust before coating. An IPA wipedown followed:
    [​IMG]

And some final shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]