2008 corvette z06

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by junbug, May 26, 2009.

1. junbug

junbug Virgin Detailer

have my first high end car 2 work on, customer wants orange peel out of paint, red in colour. planning on wet sanding, polishing, sealing and then wax. any input, comments or suggestions will b greatly appreciated. thanx

2. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

Factory paint? If so, don't do it. Once you get the OP out (if you do completely) the clear will be too thin.

3. junbug

junbug Virgin Detailer

i understand its risky with fac paint, but if i sand with 2500, and polish with a w9000 finishing pad and meguiers swirl remover 2.0 i shouldnt burn thru, right?

4. Spyral

Spyral DB Forum Supporter

That's a big gamble on a customers car!

5. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Ok here is my take on this...the orange peel that you are seeing is maybe in the color coat, wetsanding the clear will not heal the orange peel. Plus sanding with 2500 will not be cleaned up with Megs #9..reguardless of machine, pad combo..it is a mild mild product that in my opinion fills more than corrects...i wouldnt do this job because it wont meet either of your expectations and it will just remove perfectly good clear.

6. junbug

junbug Virgin Detailer

so without re-paint is there any way 2 get OP out of fac paint? cuz it is there and it looks like crap...

7. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

There is always that chance of burning thru the paint. Like Eric said above once you are done the paint is going to be very thin.

8. milabfocker

milabfocker Jedi Nuba

Meguiar's Swirl Remover on a finishing pad will not remove 2500 grit sanding marks from the finish. You will need a 100% wool pad and an aggressive compound to remove the marks and then refine from there. Not to be rude; however, based upon the information you have provided, I have to reccomend you gain some more practical experience before you agree to wetsand and polish this vehicle.

9. Nica

Nica Banned

The most important question (to me that is) do you have a paint gauge to see how much clear coat you have to play with?

I've done my share of wet sanding and it doesn't take much to burn through clear coat. Most detailers don't use a paint gauge but I personally wouldn't polish a vehicle with out one...you just never know.

Just my :2cents:

10. Magnum

Magnum Any Rag Vehicle Washer

2500 grit sanding marks with M9 is not going to happen. You'd need to follow with either M105 or M95 and then finish with M205 or M80.

If you don't obliterate the factory clear completely, you will definately compromise any ability to correct the paint in future.

11. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

As many have said wet sanding factory paint is not the best idea. You dont have much clear to truly work with when sanding to bring it back and keep enough on for later polishing. The orange peel is difficult to remove because of how "deep, wavy" it is could require a lot in one area and little sanding in some, also as has been said may not be a clear issue. The only time I would ever wet sand a car 100% coverage would be a show car, this is because a show car is painted with a extra 2-3 coats of clear to give you that buffer to wet sand all the OP away and still have decent amount of clear.

As Nica said you must use a paint gauge and I dont think you should use one that measures full paint thickness you will need one that can read layers so you know exactly how much clear and not total paint thickness you have. You can tell the customer yes i can do this but there may be issues and i will take no responsibility for anything going wrong, now this is not something you really want to have a customer sign as they may or will feel as if you dont care about their car and will not truly take care of it.

12. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

If you have to ask about it, than you shouldn't be doing it. Especially on a customers car, much less a brand new z06.