2006 Audi A6 S-Line

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by JoeyV, Nov 2, 2012.

1. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

This car belongs to Kris, a businessman who moved here (Montreal) not long ago from Chicago, IL. He bought this car second hand from a family member of his and had not had the time or chance to have it taken care of prior. He gave me a call and I went over to evaluate the car. We agreed on my Pearl Detail Package. He also took advantage of my pick-up and delivery service (free of charge!) because of time constraints. On to the write-up!

Products used:

Washing
    Sunlight + Zep's Citrus Degreaser
    AutoGlym Active Insect Remover
    AutoGlym Intensive Tar Remover
    AutoGlym Engine and Machine Cleaner
    Various wash mitts, sponges
    Stoner's Invisible Glass
    Riccardo Blue Clay
    Elegance Waterless Wash
    Elegance Clay Lube
    Elegance Wheel Cleaner
    Iron-X
    Various brushes

Correction
    Meguiar's #105
    Meguiar's #205
    Optimum Metal Polish
    Various Microfibers
    Flex Rotary 3403
    Porter Cable XP7424
    Green Lake Country CCS pad
    Black Lake Country CCS pad
    Red Lake Country CCS pad

Protection
    Black Fire Gloss Enhancing Polish
    BlackFire Wet Diamond all Paint Sealant
    Wolf's Body Wrap (wheels)
    Elegance Engine Dressing
    Aquapel
    Rain-X
    Black Wow
    303 Aerospace Protectant
    AutoGlym Leather Cleaner and Balm
    Chemical Guys New Car Smell

Here's how the car arrived. In general, Audi's look good even when dirty, and this one is no different.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some nasty scratches I will mostly remove a little later.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another quite nasty scratch I will be mostly taking care of.
    [​IMG]

Some staining/streaking in the paint.
    [​IMG]

Notice the dried up plastic trim behin the mirror.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always, I start with the engine shampoo, so if any degreaser or other chemicals get on the paint, I can go back and fix it later when I'm doing paint correction. Here's how it looked at the start.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started by vacuuming all the leaves from the crevices.
    [​IMG]

Then I got to cleaning it with brushes and AutoGlym Engine and Machine Cleaner.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once it was all dressed and pretty with Elegance Engine Dressing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for the wheels. I started by using Iron-X to remove most of the brake dust caked into the wheels to make cleaning them easier.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the Iron-X was done it's job, I rinsed them and got to cleaning with Elegance Wheel Cleaner
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the wheels, it's finally time to start washing the bodywork. First step was to remove and bugs and bird droppings. Weapon of choice: AutoGlym Active Insect Remover.
    [​IMG]

Then on to a degreasing foam bath.
    [​IMG]

I took a brush to the gas door and all badges and crevices to make sure they were cleaned right.
    [​IMG]

Then it was time to decontaminate the paint. First up was Iron-X again.
    [​IMG]

Then the clay bar. The car was not bad and not great, so I did it in 3 sections, kneading the clay bar after each 1/3rd.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, let's take a closer look at the damages now that the car is clean. Here are the stains/streaks on the driver side fender.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some shots of the swirling with a very INexpensive 1, 000, 000 candle powered Halogen light. (that's right, CANDLE POWER lol)
    [​IMG]

a better shot of the scratches on the passenger side quarter panel/wheel arch.
    [​IMG]

Close up of scratches with another really INexpensive LED light.
    [​IMG]

The it was time to measure the paint. I noticed that many panels were repainted on this car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I noted where the thinner and repainted parts were, I went around and marked off any spots that would need a bit more elbow grease and attention with small pieces of masking tape.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then brought the car inside and taped off a line down the middle of the trunk for my test spot.
    [​IMG]

Here's a 50/50 of that. Note that this is with 1 pass of #105 on green and 1 pass od #205 on black. The actual process was 2 passes of #105 on green, 1 pass of #205 on black via rotary and 1 pass of #205 on black with PC for final jeweling.
    [​IMG]

A closer look with that famous 1, 000, 000 candle power halogen light.
    [​IMG]

And with the LED light.
    [​IMG]

Once I found a process I was happy with, I taped off the rest of the car and got to work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before anything was done to the paint.
    [​IMG]

And after a single pass of the #105.
    [​IMG]

After 13 hours of polishing, I took the car outside and removed all the tape.
    [​IMG]

Here are a few shots of it after polishing. It hasn't been washed yet and there is no protection at this point.
    [​IMG]

Virtually spotless paint.
    [​IMG]

Note: All the white spots on the hood and bumper are rock chips.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After another degreasing foambath and wash, I brought the car inside and applied the Black Fire Gloss Enhancing Polish followed by the BlackFire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Sealant.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

While the sealant was curing, I applied Aquapel on the windshield and Rain-X on the side and rear windows. (10 internets to whoever recognizes what the black bracelet I'm wearing is :D)
    [​IMG]

The exhaust tips were extremely caked and this is the best I could do with the Optimum Metal Polish and steel wool. Not great, but still a good deal better than how they were originally.
    [​IMG]

I had already vacuumed and cleaned the inside as well as applied the 303 to all plastics trims and vinyls and cleaned and treated the leather, but I still had the carpets to shampoo. Here's a few 50/50's. Passenger side.
    [​IMG]

Driver side.
    [​IMG]

Finished interior shot.
    [​IMG]

On to the finals shots. This one was taken with the flash to highlight any possible swirls left in the paint...no luck finding any :/
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's what's left of that scratch on the driver side quarter panel.
    [​IMG]

And the ones on the passenger side. (keep in mind I can't correct paint when it's no longer there. ;))
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always, thanks for looking and happy detailing!

2. stottie

stottie Birth of a Detailer

amazing job and awesome write up. car looks great!!!

3. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

yeah man!

nice work Joey.

sorry, can't identify the bracelet...looks like a gear shifter pattern is on it...maybe it could be something else...

looks good in and out.

4. JoeyV

Thanks. I don't always make write-ups, but when I do, I try to make them good.
    Thanks man. You're on the right track with the bracelet. It's from a company called TWM performance "Save the Manuals"

5. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

6. sydtoosic

sydtoosic Birth of a Detailer

nice job on that AUDI.

7. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Very nice save!

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Nice job on that Joey! Looks great.

9. JoeyV

Pics work for me and seem to be working for others as well, as you can tell by comments following yours: :S]
    Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Ken, I also posted this on another forum and 2 guys from BC were looking to have me do some work for them. Since it's not quite as close as I'd like it to be, I gave them your number and contact info. Their names are Shawn and Justin.
    I don't know if they'll call, but you now have a heads up. :)

10. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

Very impressive work and write up skills!

11. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Nice work Joey. Looks great!