2 Rolls Royces Phantoms- Premier Shine

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by premshine09, Nov 7, 2012.

1. premshine09

premshine09 Jedi Nuba

Been a while since I posted- back to school in VA for last and final year of school, finally getting around to post one of my final pieces of work from August.

Below you will find two Rolls Royce Phantoms- one of which is a Drophead. Both have moderate to heavy defects- mostly on the black 4-door which the client payed well near $2000 to have the RR dealership "detail" it recently. No surprise they left holograms and trails on the hood and rear trunk lid.

Due to time constraints I suggested a hybrid correction- a majority of both Royces would have been corrected with a one stepper to clean up some of the finer marring/ cobwebbing etc. Target correction level was around 50 to 65 percent. Certain areas which are presented below wherein the heavier defects lie were of course compounded and properly finished down.

Correction was performed via my PC DA/ Flex, various pads, foam, microfiber- polishing media was a mix of Sonax, Menzerna, and M105. The clear on both were finicky (no surprise) and the drophead was by far the easiest to correct on- I cannot imagine the amount of time and attention needed to achieve a 90 to near 100% correctional level on the black 4-ddor.

Both of these coaches are MASSIVE, especially the 4 door Phantom. The build quality is exceptional, every interior piece feels perfect to the touch and after having the pleasure of driving both of them, it was no surprise that you truly felt you were in a hand built piece of luxury. I could go on but watching an episode of ultimate factories on the RR would be much more rewarding.

Onto the job- and yes, I know the driveway is unfinished, client is having it paved. Cars were finished, pulled in, covered and left until driveway was finished two weeks later.

Befores
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior gently soiled- leather had blue jean transfer in various areas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Motor Before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Motor brushed down with ONR and dressed in 303
    [​IMG]

Wheels hit with sonax and later hand polished
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

During wash phase- Drophead watching on the sidelines
    [​IMG]

Dried, clayed indoors, brought back out to take some before shots of the defects under natural light
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hood
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

right side front fender
    [​IMG]

Passenger door
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After one pass
    [​IMG]

Deeper imperfections still exist
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The hood- around 90% correction achieved- one pass with Surbuf R pad, M105- M105 on yellow foam, green foam w/ Sonax PF
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Left side of hood before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Left fender
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front end coming along nicely- post IPA wipedown, before andy type of LSP applied
    [​IMG]

Front bumper
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice area to right on "before" side- thanks RR for burning through the clear!
    [​IMG]

Can't forget about the rockers- these took around 50 minutes each to do- 1 pass with M105 on foam followed by Menz PF on orange
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2nd day (already 10 hours in)

Sun had not come out yet and due to the whale size of this vehicle I decided to perform a little bit of work outside while it was cool out

Large C pillar area before
    [​IMG]

Rear decklid before- this was HAMMERED- same process as hood
    [​IMG]

Hand polishing the grille- Nevr Dul used here to gently cleanse metal
    [​IMG]

Much, much better
    [​IMG]

TEASER- 2 Applications of Blackfire Wet Diamond
    [​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RR #2 - Drophead Coupe - same level of correction- 1 to 2 step on the majority of the coach, 3 on two heavily damaged areas due to RR dealerships stellar "detail" department

Befores:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall the car was just dull and lacking its "beauty" mostly due to the heavy amount of soil all over but after performing a clay decontamination it made a remarkable difference
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two very deep scratches- owner asked me to safely help them as much as possible. If only I had touch up paint and five more days...
    [​IMG]

Motor before: same process as the other RR - ONR + SV brush
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wash decon process
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ah much better
    [​IMG]

Brought inside to be clayed and dried

taped up and inspection with the light- difficult color to capture with the camera- large amount of metallic media in the coat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Afters (besides the color being difficult to capture the defect I didn't have my SLR with me that day)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The area with the 3 and a half inch gouge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 and 3k warming up
    [​IMG]

During
    [​IMG]

Rear decklid area- hammered like the other coach
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you, RR dealership, for your stellar attention to detail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After- M105 and Sonax PF
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leatherique left on to work its magic overnight- several areas with jean transfer
    [​IMG]
    Armrest was heavily soiled, hard to tell here
    [​IMG]

Also applied to the other RR interior
    [​IMG]

Teaser:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some randoms of interior work
    [​IMG]

Afters!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Standard Umbrella in the door
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Yes I know the hood is open)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2- the Drophead

Interior shots before- notice the dirty pawprints on the seats!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Soil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Afters:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Total time- Black 4 door Phantom- roughly 22 hours over two days, Drophead coupe- 13 hours, 1 day

Thanks for looking!
    - Dan K.

2. Gale Force

Gale Force Obsessive Detailer

Nice work.

3. waynvision

waynvision Two Bucket System Washer

Really nice job. And thanks for taking the time to so meticulously document your work.

4. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

Excellent work! This guy seems to be a pretty faithful customer, now I just want him to pave that freaking driveway!

5. premshine09

premshine09 Jedi Nuba

It has been paved haha

And yes, he has become a good client of mine :)
    - Dan

6. sydtoosic

sydtoosic Birth of a Detailer

nice work. saw these cars at the car show, and man are they huge. did i see a Mclaren MP4 in one of the pics? it was in the garage. well anyway, you did a real good job, and it's a shame RR doesn't have qualified professional detailers on hand. i'll take my new car dirty with the plastic still on it and take it to get professionally detailed.

7. premshine09

premshine09 Jedi Nuba

Yes- that is thew new MP4-12C which I also worked on for the client- large amount of factory installed defects- mostly large areas of missed sanding marks and poor final finishing....what else is new

MCLAREN writeup here: http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35048&p=356837#post356837

- Dan

8. txpolisher

txpolisher Virgin Detailer

wow those cars in garage are some nice looking ones..for the leatherique did you had to leave it overnight or just spray and wipe..and whats that white residue on the seats

9. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

very good documentation and work Dan!

thanks for sharing. superb results!

10. premshine09

premshine09 Jedi Nuba

Yes- both cars received and overnight treatment of Leatherique- White residue on seats = sudsy lather brought up by agitation- that would be the leather cleaning process shortly after removing the leatherique with a damp, warm microfiber

11. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I'd have a mental breakdown with that drive!