2 Must Haves - Thrifty Info Inside

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by ehuth1, May 14, 2008.

1. ehuth1

ehuth1 Birth of a Detailer

After reading a thread on autopia about some Dawn power dissolver, I decided to give it a try. I picked up the product from Wal-Mart so I'm sure if you find this review helpful then you should be able to get your hands on this.

[​IMG]

After getting the sink water warm I spritzed about 4-5 pads and let them sit in one side of the sink while I washed one at a time. The intructions are for grease on cooking utensils, so I just followed what I read on autopia's site. Spray, let sit, massage under running water (also used the edge pad cleaner *perfect for stubborn stains and ergo friendly :thumb:) and air dry. Now don't get me wrong I've done this before with APC, soap, etc..... This my friends is the $hit when it comes to getting something done QUICK!

PADS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NOTE - I wore nitrile gloves to keep me away from the cleaner + the heat from the water....

After 25 second soak and 20-30 second agitation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I give this product a huge :thumb: due to it's ease of use and cleaning ability. Thumbs down to you get what you pay it comes in a small bottle, so prepare like me and buy 2 at a time.

If you want to spend $125 for a pad washer thats completly up to you (it probably cleans better), but I think I've found something to fill the gap. Pads are still wet so however you look at, pics my be deceiving... They are clean and make the kitchen smell good too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

EXCELLENT review!!! I must pick some up next time I'm at Wally World.

Question: is this product safe for pads? Or will they deteriorate over time?

3. devast8

devast8 New Member

I <3 Dawn PD. it's the only product I found that really clean collinite wax out of my foam applicators. The only negative thing about it is it's hard to rinse. Seams like there's always soap left....but overall this is a must!

4. ehuth1

From most reviews I've read... It's been in use for a while now and no complaints about deterioration.

5. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Thanks Eric... day late and $140 short, I bought the Grit Guard 2000

6. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I love the stuff

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I'm sure you'll be happy about that purchase. I'm happy about getting the UPW. It saves so much time!

8. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

Thanks for the review now I know where to pick it up. I hadn't been able to find it in any of the local grocery stores. Only downside is that I have to go to Wal-mart or order it online.

9. richy

richy Guest

I picked up 4 bottles at a Meyers store. I wet the pad, applied the P.D. and rinsed using the pad washer 2000. Very fast, very effective.

10. ehuth1

You still need some :)

11. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Rinsing out the soap is hard. takes way too much time. That's why I personally like DP polishing pad rejuvenator. Cleans well, easy to use, and is not very pricey. With 19 oz for $16 it's only $1 per application.

12. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

Looks like it worked very well. Nice review Eric. My wife won't go for me cleaning my pads in the kitchen. It's a good thing I have a sink in the garage.

13. IanB

IanB Two Bucket System Washer

But I apply/use my PD with latex gloves. This stuff is pretty strong, and has a strong chemical smell as well.

Keep that in mind if you go this route. Not quite as bad as bleach, but still very strong. I think the gloves were a must have if you are a weekend warrior.

My .02 cents.
    IB

14. Joyriide1113

Joyriide1113 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I've used Dawn's Power Disolver, and its the best hand cleaning pad product i've used.

My favorite and easiest way of cleaning buffing pads is to spritz some APC on em and pressure wash them. One pass with the pressure washer cleans them perfectly and a spin on the rotory dries them. I've been using this method for a year now with no ill effects.

15. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Very interesting post, I do hope there isn't any long term damage from cleaning the pads with the DPD. What is the 2nd must have? Would it be the Edge pad cleaner?

16. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

if you take the PD and mix it 50/50 with water in a spray bottle it cleans as good and easier to rinse out..its very concentrated in its own bottle....just keep some straight for hard to remove waxes like collinite...it only takes 1 spray to clean a pad...let it sit for a few minutes and then wash and rinse....

AL

17. ehuth1

that would be correct.

18. ehuth1

thanks for the tip AL !

19. Brent

Brent Birth of a Detailer

PD is difficult to rinse out so after cleaning my pad with PD, I will generally clean them again with Dawn to get the PD out. Works pretty well.

20. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

takes me forever to runse out dawn foam. Takes only a couple of rinses to rinse out DP.