2 coats of menzerna power lock

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by detaildude3629, Jun 2, 2010.

1. detaildude3629

detaildude3629 Birth of a Detailer

Just wondering is it worth putting on 2 coats of power lock and if so what does the 2nd coat provide? Need your in sights on this, also do you guys upsell a sealant to a customer instead of applying a wax and how much more do you charge? Thanks..:shead:

2. JonM

JonM Guest

The only reason I would up sell a sealant is it takes 20+ minutes to flash, but I really wouldn't considering nice sealants are significantly cheaper than nice waxes. The only reason to really layer a sealant would be to make sure you've got even coverage. I personally don't think that two layers would ensure better protection, but instead protect the spots you may have missed.

3. detaildude3629

Thanks alot for that, I have a vehicle to work on today and would like to apply the powerlock on it. I did a white Infinity a couple weeks ago and wow. I will put 2 coats and see what happens. Thanks.:applause2:

4. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

There have been tests that have shown the second layer only adds a v fraction of the thickness to the LSP layer that the first coat comprised of. However, one thing that has not been tested is the density of the total LSP layer after 2 coats which I believe might be higher than the first coat alone which would mean that more polymers are in the final LSP layer and are packed more closely which could provide more resilient protection.

Either way, the primary use of a second layer is to make sure you have achieved even coverage on the paint.

5. detaildude3629

Have anyone tried this, had a (00) volkswagon do detail yesterday, no paint correction just clean up interior was very bad, light colored tan leather, spent over 3 hrs on it. Exterior foamed up, rims cleaned with Megs wheelbrite, awesome product, cut 1:2 rims very bad, not perfect barrels. Just clayed outside degreased bottom panesl. After dryed off did IRA wipoff. I wanted to use Menzerna Powerlock, i choose another path to apply it though. I started with the hood first with one coat applied, then i applied the second coat with that, never wiped off the first one, wow it did add a thickness to it. I then procced to the front panel and door panel with the first coat and the added the second coat. I then took a plush micro towel and very lightly took off the two coats of PowerLock on the hood. I noticed how easy it was to remove. The time inbetween the hood and side panels was about 8minutes,, It seemed to enough time to cure did the finger swipe first. I can say this the gloss in the paint was amazing. I just proceeded the rest of the car that way. I would like to know has anyone tryed this before or just apply one coat to half of the vehicle then go back and remove and then apply the second coat and then come back and remove. I would like some feed back on this. Thanks :applause2:

6. stottie

stottie Birth of a Detailer

im in the processs of appyling power lock to my nismo as we speak. i just went ahead and applied to the whole car via porter cable with red lc pad. im gonna let it set for about 30 min than ill go take it back off. i did a clients car this morring i did wash than clay follwed by a one step just to remove some oxadation from the finish. i than applyed the power lock as i did my car . well wow what a turnout i got, i than wated about 45 min than wiped the car down with aqua wax witch really made it pop. but for your question i dont know if a second caot would make a diffrance or not.

7. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

powerlock is so easy to apply, i dont see really why you wouldnt put a second coat on. the most tangible reason for a second coat though in my opinion, is to assure even coverage. most will argue it adds durability as well.

8. GoCubsGo

GoCubsGo Any Rag Vehicle Washer

+1
    That is my logic for applying dual coats of any sealant and/or wax. Since MPL is so easy to apply and remove I say go for it.

9. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

It's all about even coverage and perhaps a little added durability.

10. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

2 coats will always provide better and even coverage...

11. Hey, has anyone mentioned that a second coat will help provide even coverage :paranoia:

12. JonM

JonM Guest

Use your explorers finder and search "even" on the first page. Not including the quoted one, it comes up 5 times, all for the same reason.

EVEN COVERAGE!

13. detaildude3629

Sounds good the advice given, but has anyone applied the way i explained I did? Would like to know if it helps or not was on time limit had to be done before dark and returned to customer to see results, thats the reason why i applied it that way. Thanks:applause2:

14. Yes, I have applied using this method. I see know benefit or harm. Usually just being lazy is my excuse :thud:

15. detaildude3629

Well next one I will use my pc with lc blue 5.5 inch pad to apply it..Thanks guys:applause2: