1step polishing

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Pureshine, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I was reading in another forum where someone said he was doing 1step polishing in 45-1.5 hours. I can't even see how he is even doing a good job on his customers cars. I maybe wrong about that so please let me know if that even possible. My one steps with prep and everything take me 8 hours or more.
    Thanks
    Todd

2. ziggo99

ziggo99 Birth of a Detailer

Was he talking simply polishing took that long, or his entire 1 step polish detail took that long? I could see how he could polish out a vehicle in 1.5 hours, given the size and what he was using.

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

What he was doing was more of a gloss enhancement detail. The polishing portion of it is spending 2-3 minutes per panel using a light polish and light cut pad. This will effectively remove very light swirls and improve the gloss dramatically. It is NOT a correction type of polishing job. A single stage correction usually means once around the car with a combo strong enough to remove carwash swirls and light scratches but not aggressive enough to require following up with anything. After that comes your 2-3 step full on correction jobs like the stuff we see from Lucci Elite and Bob Willis.

4. Pureshine

Thanks Ken. Thats what I thought to cause no way he is doing true paint correction in that time. When I asked he said he was doing paint correction but I thinking no way.

5. 911Fanatic

I saw that thread as well. Everyone has their own definition of "correction" work so no point in getting into it with some people. I believe one guy said his two step correction is one round of polish and a coat of wax - two steps. WTF?

6. Pureshine

He said 1step paint correction and cleaning the whole interior to.

7. Pureshine

You saw the thread on AGO? Here is his answer.

[TABLE="class: page, width: 100%, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE="class: page, width: 100%, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE="class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]I simply do not spend that long on each panel of the vehicle. I do one section pass of each panel once over the entire vehicle. I get good correction for the time that I spend on the vehicle. I mostly use HD Polish with an Optimum MF pad, then follow with Opti-Seal.

I don't see how it could take 8 hours to do what I'm doing, but I think the difference is in how we define "1 step". I believe you are referring more to a 1 step "correction", and I am doing a 1 step "polish"
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

8. 911Fanatic

At least he knows that he is only polishing versus doing correction work and he is right, it would't take 8 hours to do what he is doing. Most guys would call that a gloss enhancement as no real "correction" work is being done. He is merely removing light swirls to amp up the gloss. Like I said, everyone has their own definition. There is no right or wrong, only opinion.

9. Pureshine

Ya I agree with you 100%. His website was just confusing to me thats all couldn't see how he was getting it done it that time. But know I see how he is getting it done in that time.

10. sullysdetailing

sullysdetailing DB Pro Supporter

Look at it like this you have vehicle ranging from 1-10. 1 being the worse and 10 being a flawless finishing. Each level in between is $100 dollars. Now in order to get a 1-10 it will cost $1000 most people that drive a 1, 2, 3 or most people in general don't know what swirl marks or marring is. They just want there car to be extremely shiny and clean. So why break your back over one of those vehicle making it look perfect when they don't know the deference anyways.

Now with that being said most people would be happy with the exterior of there vehicle in the 4-6 range. In reality you can charge 200-250 to wash, clay, AIO (d151, XMT360, Ardex Clener Wax, ect), light interior and your done. Takes you 1.5-2.5 hours and your finished. The costumer is flawed and you didn't break your back or waste money.

What I have found that works great that I took the technique from Sulerior Shine is your PC or GG on speed 6 with a polishing or light polishing pad and and work the polish in but move fast don't sit there and work in the polish. The client just wants there car shiny its not a show car or exotic and there not paying for it. If you want added protection or dept add a layer of wax over it.

The average person isn't doesn't know what swirls are, and will be more then happen with the job you did. Plus you can do 2-3 vehicle a day just hire a helper to wash wheels, vacuum, ect and you can work on the paint. You walk away with 500-650 a day after paying your helper 100. Now assuming you could get that everyday you could be making $2500 a week or $120,000 a year. It is possible there are plenty if people that do it. Just don't over work yourself or go above and beyond when your average client won't know the difference.

11. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Any car wash who offers "detailing" services can buff out a car in less then an hour, they have two guys with dirty ass wool pads, they slop on the crappy AIO and have at it............. yes it can be done, but is it what you want? Sure, lots of people look at price only. But some people don't care anyway, as long as its shiny and cleaner then it was the day before. They probably have no clue like Sully said, regarding not even knowing what a swril mark is. As embarrassing as that all is, there is alot of money to be made in hack job cut and polish shops, the more they get in the more they make.

They are not in it to provide any level of service, its all profit driven.

12. sullysdetailing

sullysdetailing DB Pro Supporter

I'm not saying to have it or call it paint correction or swirl removal. Sell it as a gloss enhancement package. Therefore you are not saying you will get swirls or scratches out to bring the gloss level up.

13. RZJZA80

RZJZA80 Two Bucket System Washer

It has it's place, it all depends on what the customer wants. Some want a perfect show car, and others want it just to be shiny. Just don't tell the customer they are getting defect removal when they're really not.

14. ModdedMach

ModdedMach Birth of a Detailer

I did a 1 step polish on a 2009 Jaguar a few weeks ago. Paint was pretty hard. I was looking to actually remove defects not just amp gloss, so i guess we could call it a 1 step correction, lol.

I had 4.5 hours of polish time. I think that is reasonable, especially considering i got a good 80-85% of defects out (excluding RDS) and the car isnt small by any means. I was also using a DA, not a rotary, so the hard paint wasnt the easiest to cut into.

TBH if i was looking to just amp gloss in a short amount of time to save the customer money, i might go with a good glaze and a medium polishing pad. I final polish would do well but since Glazes help prep the surface for LSP, it would save time since no IPA wipe would be needed. Thats provided that you are using a conventional wax or sealant, not a special coating.

How many of you guys offer a service to just amp gloss like that? I usually aim to actually remove a considerable amount of defects when i break out the polisher, but TBH i think customers would be pretty pleased with a quick surface polish to just help eliminate micromarring and boost gloss for a cheaper price than a full 1 step polish to remove light and moderate defects.