1st time with ONR...2008 Colorado

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by DLR Detailing, Feb 1, 2008.

1. DLR Detailing

DLR Detailing Jedi Nuba

Today was a 'Spend the day in the shop with a project" day. My part of the world was on the receiving end of a winter storm overnight and throughout the day so what else is a guy to do? I'd like to share my 1st experience using ONR with those here at DB. I am not going to cover proper technique or method in this post. I'll leave that to the ONR guru's. I will say that I was very cautious and had a very light touch. I realize that an ONR wash can be a real time saver when performed by someone with experience. I hope to get there someday. :006:
    My practice vehicle was a truck with less than 100 miles on it. Man...was I nervous to start with. I have done alot of reading of past threads here at DB about ONR and became very interested, but still unsure. It was only after Rocco sent me a sample, THANKS ROCCO, that I decided to try it.
    Those that are still trying to perform conventional washes in the middle of winter really need to try ONR. You won't be disappointed!
    I hope that you enjoy the pictures. I know it wasn't in too bad of shape; but hey, for my 1st time I needed a confidence builder. Looking forward to Pointers - Tips - Comments.
    I am hooked on this already!
    Dave

Wash tools included microfibers for drying, cotton chenille mitt, black magic bucket and of course ONR mixed approx 1.5 ounces per 2 gal of water

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not too dirty just a layer of "lot dirt" that was rain spotted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Closeup of the mitt after just 1/2 of the hood, this stuff really works!

[​IMG]

Wash solution on the door before drying. Really beads up.

[​IMG]

During drying I patted lightly for the 1st pass then held the finish towel "on edge" with no pressure to wipe across the body.

[​IMG]

Tire - wheel and fenderwell

[​IMG]

Completed job and with no marring! Of course it is white. :crasy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. richy

richy Guest

Looks like a great job. I'm sure you saved the wheels/wells for last..I bet you did b/c you said you did lots of reading. That's the only thing that would scare me is not doing them last.

3. DLR Detailing

DLR Detailing Jedi Nuba

Yep, did those last with the remaining solution. Next time I will probably have to mix up a 2nd batch or go to a 2 bucket method.
    Dave

4. distrbd

distrbd New Member

I always use the two bucket method,but what I do differently is ,I don't wipe dry until I finish washing the whole one side ,or the whole roof,this way I find it to be less time consuming ,of course after I finish drying the car I use PB spray and wipe just to make sure there's no dirt left,I know it's probably an over kill but it gives me peace of mind.

5. vrwm

vrwm Jedi Nuba

Looks good!!:thumb: Its the first of many times. We are all skeptical at first, but it does a good job. ONR FTW!!!!

6. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Is that all the water that gets used on the floor? Or was it soaked and just dried up?

7. Nica

Nica Banned

Very nice, I have yet to use ONR. I purhcased a large container but I haven't used it :crasy: but it's good to have just in case...I'm not sure if I'm looking forward on using it. Like you I'm a bit scared of using it, I'm sure it works but I'll have to use it to get over the fear...in time though, in time.

Truck looks great, thank you for sharing the experiance :thumb:

8. DLR Detailing

DLR Detailing Jedi Nuba

Yes, that was about it. The pictures were taken just a few minutes after I finished. Should I have applied more ONR wash to the truck and let it run down, Kind of like "pre-soaking"?

Thanks Nica. I fullly understand about being scared. I never mentioned it, but this is my truck. I sure didn't want to see that dreaded 1st scratch when I got done with it. Better on mine than a customers though. I am now convinced if you take your time until you get used to using ONR everything will come out OK.

I was debating purchasing a gallon but just couldn't do it, still skeptical I guess. Rocco hooked me up so then I had no more excuses. Thanks Rocco for turning me on to this ! See you can teach an old dog new tricks. :woot:

Last evening I applied Hi Temp Terminator paint sealant to get it protected from the snow and salt. I wouldn't have thought you could tell a difference in the paint after application. After all, it is just white. Not sure I can describe it. I'll just go with it is "whiter" now. My lack of camera skills hinder me greatly in trying to show this. So I gave up. Waitng for it to cure then I think I would like to top it with something. Dunno what though?

Thanks for all the comments guys. I really appreciate it!
    Dave

9. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

Looks really nice....You done a fine job on the wash and pics....Thanks for sharing....

10. Nica

Nica Banned

Thank you for the feed back DLR, man and with your own vehicle. I agree better your vehicle thena customer but I'm so anal with customer vehicle I'm even worse with my own :shakehead:

But I really should give ONR a try.....but having access to a wash bay anytime I want dosen't help lol.

11. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

Great DLR glad you tired it! See now you can still do weekly washes! :thumb: The truck looks great! I always take my car to the car wash to use the pressure washer (water only) to remove the majority of the salt and junk! Then straight home for an ONR wash :thumb:

12. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

13. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

very nice. Have yet to try this product

14. Scott's Mobile Detailing

Scott's Mobile Detailing Welcome to Detailing

rinsless wash rulesss

15. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

You can do it, Nica!!! i was scared crapless as well the first time I did it, but soon discovered what everyone else has. Really, really, good stuff. Although, there's so much crap on my 2 cars right now from last week's winter storm here in St. Louis, that I think they both need some traditional action.

16. Nica

Nica Banned

Thanks DJ I really need to use this product, I've read so many good things about it that I really should use it..that and I bought the darn thing I should use it up hahahahhaha but thank you for the encourage :thumb:

17. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

why use it if you dont need it? its for those of us who dont have wash bays. i would throw it in a qd bottle and use it up

18. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

haha and you did buy a gallon of it. We did use some as QD though. It worked pretty good as a spray bottle wash.

19. Nica

Nica Banned

Yea, well it's good to have ONR it's a versatile product and I'm sure I'll use it one of these days, till then it's just going to sit complementing my collection :thumb:

20. mShu7

mShu7 Birth of a Detailer

DLR,

Glad to hear you liked ONR. Obviously, anybody that hasn't used it is bound to be skeptical. All it takes is trying it to realize that it works as advertised.

Here's a quick ONR demo video I did recently: YouTube - ONR Demo

By the way, what part of Indiana are you from. I'm in Brownsburg which is about 30 minutes west of Indy.