1st time Bissell LGM user- comments

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by GDAL, Jul 19, 2009.

1. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Guys,

I bit the bullet today and got a LGM. My first project was my brother's Sentra that has never seen an extraction. Overall, it was a great experience and you can't go wrong for the price. I have some questions/comments about the machine ...

How do you guys control the water nozzle? ... that thing sprays all over the place. It took me a minute or two to figure out how to control the flow.

I used folex and it work great, but they were some areas that developed water stains after the intial treatment. I had to go back to these areas again with half of the recommended solution on the LGM tank. It took care of the problem ... what ratio do you guys use when using folex?

I would like to thank slanguage for his recommendation of spraying some folex before extracting.

Any tips/suggestions from other users?

I'm glad that so many people recommended this machine here.

Gianni

2. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

I havent had the issue of water spraying everywhere. I may or may not be in the minority here but i dont use the LGM solution in the tank. I just spray on my carpet stuff brush and then extract. If you are leaving water stains i would be sure that you are extracting enough. Sounds to me like some solution may still be in the fibers and are "ringing". Be sure to wet the area fully and dont stop until the water is running clear in the attachment. This is a really good unit for the money IMHO

3. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

Yeah just use plain water in the unit. I like the unit for I feel I can see when the carpet is clean and what its picking up. I use Folex and Zep as there OTC and work really nice. But I usually go back over with a shop vac real fast as it seems to have more lift. Can't wait to get a real extractor.

4. slowjeep

slowjeep Any Rag Vehicle Washer

which folex and which zep, there's too many...!!!!!!

5. richy

richy Guest

I've only ever seen one Folex (the one at Home Depot) and the Zep, I would recommend the High Traffic Lane Cleaner.

6. GDAL

GDAL Guest

what he said ... Zep stuff is great!!!

7. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

There is no way to really "control" the flow or spray pattern on it.

As far as the dilution ratio, just fill the soltion tank to the 1st line with Folex, then add warm water til the next fill line.

As far as staining afterwards, thats a new one to me. Maybe your brithers carpet is just that nasty, but I do agree about going over it again with clean water.

Glad I could be of some help G!

8. dadswrld

dadswrld Birth of a Detailer

The stains you see afterward, is the result of not enough suction power for really soiled upholstery or carpets. You will find yourself going over the same area frequent until there's no more liquid or solution in the material. As Slanguage said, there is no way to control how much is sprayed. You kind of have to spray/ mist the area your working on and then go over the area frequent. Just try not to soak the area or you'll be there a while.

I have the black model and it's great for small jobs, but the suction I find is no where close to what we need to do a proper extraction. I'm sure that's why most use a strong shop vac because of the suction they can get. Spray it, agitate it, vacuum it up after.
    [​IMG]

If you want that extractor result. I think it's better to just save the money until you can pick up a true extractor. It doesn't have to be a $1000 Mytee, there are models at $600+ or used models. That will be my next step.

9. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I use Zep high traffic for pre treating, agitate, and then extract with the bissel using straight water in the tank....

10. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

dadsworld makes a good point about using a shop-vac afterwards. I do that on really nasty carpet if I have to soak it alot.

11. Kemist

Kemist Virgin Detailer

I'm really glad i joined this site.. I keep learning new things and everyone on here seems to be very friendly and helpful!...

I never thought to use a Bissell LGM on my interior ..I think I'm gonna borrow my sisters!

12. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Just make sure you vacuum the interior really good before using the LGM and folex. I don't see a need for an expensive extractor as long as the interior is in decent shape.

13. Peco

Peco Virgin Detailer

I been using my LGM for about 3-4 years now and have no complaints. What I do is go over the carpet 1st with warm water/Oxy Clean and a stiff brush and then water in the LGM to extract. I've gotten some nasty stains out with this combo (Chocolate milk on light grey carpet) and have no problems extracting the liquid just go slow.