1st Professional Gig

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by luke093, Apr 4, 2011.

1. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

I'm setting up for what my dad hooked me up with. First up is an 1990 Land Rover (No idea if its single stage paint) overall, its in rough shape, terribly dirty inside and out and I won't be doing paint correct just possibly a paint cleaner like AG SRP.

Getting to the point here, there are 3 cars to be done at this house, but I need to go there to do the job and I need to purchase a vac. I want something under $100 that has good suction. Will a shop vac do the job? If so, any model to recommend?

Feel good about this, need to get some business cards from Vista print and a website done before June is my goal.

2. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

3. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

Im a fan of the Ridgid vacs from Home Depot. I currently use the model #WD1956. It is a beast! And not exactly mobile. However, I have used some their smaller vacs with absolutely no problems whatsoever.Very reliable and tough as nails. And they offer a great range of filters and parts, I hope this helps a bit. Congrats on your future gigs and business venture. Post pics when you are done!

4. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

I got a $35 Shop Vac with 2 hp motor and 18.2L canister, its all I will need...that offer isn't available but I am just saying stuff like that will do and it has great suction right now Canadian Tire have a clearance sections that has $150 vacs for $80 or at least my Canadian tire on 404 and Major Mackenzie in Markham.

5. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

The Kobalt on looks nice, I swear by my ridgid, it has some years of thorough use for all of the construction jobs, household projects and normal detail stuff. here are some from HD that look pretty good

RIDGID 12 Gallon Detachable Blower - WD1280 at The Home Depot (Its on sale for 50 when you buy online, thats what the front HD page said anyway) Edit: my local HD also has it for $50

RIDGID 4-Gallon Wet/Dry Vac - WD4070 at The Home Depot
    RIDGID 4.5-Gallon Wet/Dry Vac - WD4522 at The Home Depot
    RIDGID 6-Gallon Wet/Dry Vac - WD0670 at The Home Depot
    (These look pretty good if portability and space becomes a major issue)

I think any of these would be good, there are a lot of nice vacuums out there, so it really comes to personal preference and price

6. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

I bought a 5hp 12 gallon Shop Vac off of Amazon for $35 a while ago and it is a complete animal. I have used it on the worst details I have worked through and love it, especially because I wasn't sure of its quality as reviews made it appear hit or miss. It also is used to regularly replace water in a 30 gallon fountain and it sucks the thing dry in under a minute.

Here is the link, although I would never buy it at this price:

Amazon.com: Shop-Vac 5851200 12-Gallon 5.0-Peak HP Quiet Plus Series Wet/Dry Vacuum: Home Improvement

7. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I have a Rigid 4070 as my backup. Its got decent suction and its small and light. Get the detailing kit from Home Depot as well. The long crevice tool is worth the price of the kit in itself. Also, the Land Rover may be single stage. Werkstat Prime Strong will work well to clean it as will the SRP.