1999 VW Passat V6 Syncrp (4motion) only 44k

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Prism, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Prism

Prism Birth of a Detailer

Well only picked this up yesterday, travelled from Glasgow in Scotland down to Southend in England (400+ miles) to collect it. Its a 1999 V6 Syncro (looks like the 4motion badge has replaced the syncro) with 44k and a fsh. Unfortunately at present i only have a couple of pictures so far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the mileage is amazing for the year:

[​IMG]

im sure there will be more updates once im back in Glasgow with a full detail and probably some wetsanding :)

2. Prism

Well today i thought i would see the true extent of the dealer prep, gave the car a good snowfoam with Chemical Guys Citrus Snowfoam, then washed with Dodo Juice Born to be Mild, dried with a Dodo Juice Supernatural dryin towel, paintwork was then clensed with Dodo Juice Lime Prime, at this stage the true amount of defects to be corrected was visable, few scratches here and there, a long one on the bonnet, and a couple down the side...but nothing i cannot fix ! Decided to wax the car with Dodo Juice Light Fantastic (specifically for lighter coloured cars) and was well impressed with the results (been a long time since i last used Light Fantastic).....Had the car out for a 180 mile round trip today and it was fantastic, quite, refined and still no issues :)

Some pics from today after light fantastic was applied, really gave a bit more gloss to the tired paintwork....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

im sure more updates will come as i discover more with the car and try new things :)

atb

Robert

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Nice. I have a 2003 W8 4Motion Wagen. Love it.

4. Prism

My friend has a W8 with a custom exhaust and i cant think of any car that sounds as good ! Awesome machines but very rare :)

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Your new daily beater? Very nice...

6. 911Fanatic

Better get some Hi Def on that, eh P1et?

7. 911Fanatic

Yes they are. Less than 5000 sold worldwide in three years of production. Only around 1200 came to Canada and of those, only 25% were variants.

8. Prism

Well on the way home yesterday the car was running great, got an average of 30mpg for the journey, which was not too bad as i was held up in a traffic jam for near 45 mins :( but unfortunately the front passenger window mechanism broke :( so thats in to be fixed as of tomorrow....but today i thought i should get on with cleaning the car....so i started ot the interior, it didnt look in the worse condition, but definately not to my standards:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of the seats had a bit of staining on them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rear window had 3 stickers on them, probably been there for 13 years and were glued in place, i had previously attempted to remove the sticker at the bottom, but it wasnt happening, the other was the dealer sticker and a Supaguard sticker:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These were removed very easily using the steam cleaner.

So i started with the leather on the seats and door cards, using LTT Ultra Clean, massaging it into the leather with my hands then wipe clean:
    [​IMG]

Then onto the alcantara with Swissvax Alcanta which didnt remove the stains unfortunately:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So i moved onto using the steam cleaner and this removed the stains without any problem:
    [​IMG]

The leather was protected with LTT Auto Protect and the alcantara was protected using 303 Fabric Guard:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Onto the boot, unfortunately a small bottle of oil had leaked inside the spear wheel area on the way home, so i had to clean this then i cleansed the visible paintwork with Dodo Juice Lime Prime and waxes with Dodo Juice Light Fantastic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The boot lining was hoovered then steam cleaned then protected with 303 Fabric Guard:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whist working on the boot i decided to clean the hinges:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Using only the steam cleaner and a cloth....there is more work needed on this area ! ! :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleaned the glass with Dodo Juice Clearly Menthol and cleaned the interior plastics with Swissvax Quick Interior Finish ended up looking like:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting the window regulator replaced tomorrow then thinking to fix these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks for looking......Rob

9. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

Great Work Rob! Looks good as new again. I love those cars

Darren

10. Prism

thanks Darren, only the interior has been worked on, one the rain and snow has stopped then ill try and do the head lights today, then when i know its a clear day ill do the paintwork....the weather in the west of Scotland is not really the most predictable, unless you predict rain ! lol

11. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

Great work so far. Scottland sounds like New England. When you think its gonna be nice.Wait a minute and it'll change to rain snow or sleet. LOL Looking forward to your updates. I do love that car. Look up 911Fanatics car. He has a wagon that is just nuts. Pristine condition.

Darren

12. 911Fanatic

Looking good Rob. This gen Passat is soooo nice to drive. I just did my headlights a few months ago. Here is the link

13. Prism

The headlight should be a doddle, interesting that you went for the route of the #105 with the mf, i really have not had much luck with the mf pads as they came apart from the vercro :(

I'll probably use 1000/2000/4000 discs via da, then Scholls S3 Gold followed by S17+ and if not refined enough then follow up with S40, but i dont think it will be done today as waiting on the car coming out the garage after getting the window regulator mechinism fixed...... :(

14. 911Fanatic

Hey Rob. 105 will easily remove wetsanding marks and I didn't want to turn this into a part time job. Mine were pitted really bad so I wasn't looking for perfection, just to get rid of the hazing and clean the lenses up a bit. All my Megs MF pads have imploded as well. Going to get the Optimum ones next and see how they fare.

15. Prism

It seems to be a design fault as i know of a few others with the same problem :( I have used the Chmical Guys ones thought an they seem to work as well, but with less foam/cusioning i think this is what hellped them not come apart like the megs ones...the main diffference between the two is the associated compounds, and thats where megs with the MF win. I have a little 105 left, so maybe ill give it a try and see the results :)

16. Prism

Today i got the car back, the passenger door window regulator was replaced as it broke on the way home :( but all good now :)

So i got on with the car, decided i would wet sand the headlight and restore them to how they should look instead of looking weathered and cloudy like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I opted to use the Mirka Abralon discs on the DA, starting with 1000 grit, then onto 2000 grit and finally 4000 grit which looked like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally I polish via Rotary using Scholls Waffle Pad with S3 Gold followed by Scholls blue pad with S17+ which resulted in this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im sure there will be more updates soon.

Once again thanks for looking

Robert

17. Prism

Well today didnt do much to the car, cleaned and wiped down with Meguiars Last Touch then wiped down with Dodo Juice Red Mist and just loved the gloss, unfortunately i didnt get an pics...but i also fitted my CG Lock, which i got through a group buy for my Saab but never got to fit it, quite liking how it secures you place :) also hoping it might help with my back problems and allow me to enjoy the driving experience more...

[​IMG]

18. Prism

Yesterday i decided to try a bit of correction on the car, working on the boot lid, but was not happy with the results, so today i decided to wetsand the boot using 2000grit sanding discs and then refined with 4000grit discs with the boot looking like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is the reflection of the 3M Sungun on the paintwork after sanding, so shows how truely flat the finish is:

[​IMG]

Then polished with Scholls Concept S3 Gold usin a Chemical Guys Orange Hex pad achieving 50/50 like this:

[​IMG]

The end results after polishing the rest with S3 Gold and refining with S17+ from Scholls it looks like this:

This pic the camera is focused on the paint and not the reflection....
    [​IMG]

reflection shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now just waiting on the weather to get a little better then will wetsand the rest of the car.

thanks for looking

Robert

19. Prism

Since my last update i have not done too much, i re did the boot lit...just wasnt as perfect as i had hoped for, so instead of wetsanding by hand i refined it with the 4000 sanding disc on the DA, again worked with Scholls Concept S3 Gold on a Purple Spider Pad, S17+ on a Blue pad and S40 on an orange pad, using edging to remove some of the marks, but resulting in results like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also worked on the bonnet (this is a slow progress).....

There are, as expected a lot of swirls....being 13 years old, original paint with 125 microns average:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First i cleaned it with Chemical Guys EcoSmart RU, then clayed with Dodo Juice Purple Clay and Born Slippy, then detarred with Tardis, then decontaminated with IronX:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Correcting as like the boot lid involved using Scholls Concept S3 Gold on a purple Spider Pad, S17+ on a blue pad and S40 on an orange pad to achieve results like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then applied Zaino Z2 via applicator and left for 20 mins, buffed off then applied Swissvax Shield:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once fully cured (after 30 mins) buffed off any residue and the bonnet was finished:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Compaired to a few german cars i have worked on, the clear coat on this car is rock hard but there is more work to do.....found some more defects to fix:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The two parts that concern me the most:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will be updated in due course......

thanks for viewing

Robert

20. 911Fanatic

Its gonna look fantastic when you are done.