1998 F150(Full Correction)

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by DARK HORSE, Jan 30, 2011.

1. DARK HORSE

DARK HORSE Any Rag Vehicle Washer

This is one I did this past summer and posted on another forum. I’m sure many of you have you have already seen it, but seeing as I am new to this forum and haven’t done any recent write ups, I thought I’d share it here.

First Wash: The first wash was nothing special, as the paint finish was so trashed that there was really no need to observe proper washing techniques. I washed the paint with Meggs Gold Class (one bucket) and a Plush MF. I then dried with WW MF. (The next wash after polishing I observed proper wash techniques, as I will show later).

Clay: I then clayed the truck with DP universal detailing clay, using ONR mixed a 1:32 with distilled water for clay lube.

Paint Correction:
    Step 1 = m105 and several cyan hydrotech pads (91% IPA wipe down).
    Step 2 = m205 and several tangerine hydrotech pads (91% IPA wipe down).
    Step 3 = Menz 85rd and a few LC CCS blue pads.
    (I used PakShak microfiber “Ultra edgeless white towels” for polish removal and PakShak ultra plush towels for IPA wipe downs).

Here are some shots before, during, and after the polishing stages:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headlight Restoration: Headlights were corrected using 3M’s headlight restoration kit. This kit comes with a 3” backing plate and orange foam light cutting pad (both are reusable). It also comes with (6) P500 grit yellow sanding discs, (4) P800 grit white sanding discs, and a P3000 Trizact™ foam disc (which can also be re-used). There should be enough consumables (sanding disks) to do 2 sets of headlights. This kit is great, easy to use, quick and efficient, and for $18.00 w/ a $3.00 mail in rebate (making total cost $15.00) at Wal-Mart, it is a good value. (After correction and cleaning them, I sealed them w/ Klasse HGSG).

Here are a couple of shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second wash: After completing the correction stages I washed again. This time I used the following technique: I cleaned the engine compartment with Meguiars APC+ and various brushes. Normally I would clean the tires, wheels and wheel wells next, but in this case the wheels were in such bad condition (pitting and clear coat failure) that they will be replaced. Therefore I only cleaned the tires at this time. I will clean the wheel wells and under carriage when we take the wheels off. I washed the paint using 2 buckets w/grit guards, Pinnacle shampoo and gel conditioner soap w/ 1oz ONR (mixed together w/ 4 gallons de-ionized water), GS-50 Sheepskin wash mitt, rinsed with CR spotless (including the engine bay), crevices blown out with B&D leaf blower, some areas blotted dry with FK-425 and PakShak WW MFs.

[​IMG]

LSP = (Being that this is a working truck) I chose to use Collinite 845 for the LSP. (Removed wax and buffed with PakShak Ultra Plush MF’s).

Here are a few shots after LSP:

Beads, beads, gotta love those beads!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine Bay: Previously cleaned with APC+ (second wash). Wiped down with DP waterless auto wash and dressed with Meguiars trim detailer.

Before…
    [​IMG]

After…
    [​IMG]

Interior: Door jams, Carpet, upholstery, and floor mats were all cleaned with APC+. (Carpet and upholstery protected w/ 303 fabric guard). Dash board, door panels, and trim were all cleaned with DP total interior cleaner and protected with 303AP. Instrument panel and stereo face were cleaned and protected with Plexus.

Here are a few of shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exterior trim, chrome, and Glass: All exterior trim was first treated with Black Again and allowed to cure for 48 hours, then protected with 303 protectant. Chrome nerf bars were polished with Optimum metal polish and 0000 steel wool. (No need to polish exhaust tip, as it is factory and not stainless). All glass was polished with Stoners Invisible Glass.

Here are a few of shots:

50/50
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New shoes arrived today (Hurray!): Cleaned new shoes with APC+ and sealed the backs with Colinite 845. Sealed the fronts with PB Wheel Sealant. Removed tires/wheels, and cleaned tires, wheel wells and undercarriage with APC+. Shot the undercarriage with some rubberized spray coating, dressed the wheel wells with a cheap spray on tire shine, and dressed the tires with Optimum tire bond tire dressing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few more shots of the final project:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking…
    Tad

2. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

now THATS a turnaround. nice work.

3. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

i bet that owner was happy. it doesn't even look like the same truck.

4. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

WOW!!!! its a brand new truck again. Looks Fantastic!:applause:

5. galaxy

galaxy Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Holy Toledo Bat Man! That was a complete 180! You expect to see those results when you're dealing with most of the top end car pics we see, but what a stellar job on a diamond in the rough!

6. Great work Tad!! That truck looks awesome!!

7. CEE DOG

CEE DOG Any Rag Vehicle Washer

M105 35$
    M205 35$
    PO 85RD 28$
    Tads ability to work miracles on a vehicle: Priceless

Tad, like I always tell you... Nobody does better work than you do. I could read this 3 more times. Incredible work-She's a beauty now! :applause:

8. Tad, I'm thinking of getting a CR Spotless. They're at CostCo for $369. Is it worth the cost? I only wash mine and my fiancee's car.

9. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

What a fantastic turn around Tad

10. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

I'm not a truck guy but that looks sweet . Great turn around . Outstanding !!!!!

11. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Very nice work! Amazing.

Can you give me some tips for polishing the door handles? Do you do those by hand or with a smaller 4" pad?

12. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Excellent work Tad!!!!! Those are some cool wheels!!!

13. TWISTEDFRAME

TWISTEDFRAME Jedi Nuba

Absolutely impeccable work Tad. That is an amazing turn around, and your attention to detail is off the charts. Out of curiosity did that truck have some paint/body work? It seems like the finish, like the orange peel, differs quite a bit on certain panels. Either way, it looks awesome! Great job!

14. pakto

pakto Any Rag Vehicle Washer

wow great job!!!

15. rwright

rwright Birth of a Detailer

I was hoping you would post this over here buddy! I told you before but I'll tell you here too, excellent work my friend!

16. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Wow, that's not a full correction, that's a full restoration!

Any decent full pics of the truck though?

17. Nick.944

Nick.944 Birth of a Detailer

OMFG crazy turnaround.

18. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

nice job

19. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Very nice work man on hell of a difference!

20. DARK HORSE

DARK HORSE Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thanks for all the kind words guys!!