1997 Ford F150 TLC'd

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Pats300zx, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Well finally after getting settled into my new home and getting my garage up to speed I have finally had a chance to do some detail work on my personal cars. My 1997 F150 was in need of some paint correction and probably hadn't been polished in about a year and a half. I have maintained the truck with frequent washes, waxes, and clays but the time had come to put some serious time and effort into bring the paint back to where it should be.

This was my first time using the new Menzerna Power Finish and a must say that I am pretty impressed with it. It has a great cutting ability and finishes down very nicely. This detail took me about 8 hours start to finish. You don't realize how big trucks are until you start on them.

Day 1:

Wash with CG CWG at 2oz per gallon and 2 bucket method to remove old wax
    Clay with Meguiars White Clay
    Wheels cleaned with CWG and water
    Interior wiped down and treated with PB Natural Look

Day 2:

Tape all exterior trim and plastic with blue painters tape
    Polish via Makita 9227 and Menzerna 203 via Sonus white pad
    Polish via Menzerna PO85RD and Sonus red pad
    LSP=Zaino Z5 ZFX'd x2 (including all chrome)
    Z8 wipedown
    Glass cleaned with NXT Glass Cleaner
    Trim detailed with Ultima Tire and Trim
    Wheels and calipers treated with Zaino CS
    Tires dressed with Megs All Season Dressing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not to bad for a 1997

[​IMG]

2. kei169

kei169 Wax on..Wax off

wow, the last pic really shows its glossy!
    Nice job man!

3. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Great job Pat. I've never tried Megs ASD on tires before. Its a little shiny for me but do you find that it slings at all? Love how red the paint looks and my only complaint about the '97 F150s (I used to have one) was having the exhaust come out in front of the rear tire. That wheel stayed nasty compared to the others.

4. Pats300zx

I love Megs ASD for tires. It's my fav tire dressing. I have never had any issues with slinging. It smells great also :)

5. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Great work pal! That 97 is in amazing shape, really sharp looking truck. I have a ford pickup also, the only thing i HATE about the truck is how hard the trim is to keep looking good. seems like nothing works on it. im going to get the ultime tire and trim guard soon, how do you feel it performs? what kind of look and durability do you get?

6. Pats300zx

I have been using the Ultima Trim since it came out and it is by far the most durable trim dressing I have ever used. Never runs in the rain etc. I have used it exclusively on a black rub rail on my boat. The boat sits in the water all summer and takes a beating from the sun. The Ultima keeps the black looking brand new. It's my favorite trim dressing.

7. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Its pretty much a trim sealant eh?

8. Pats300zx

Yes...like when when I put it on the trim rails on my F150 I will see it bead when it rains...

9. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Great job on that truck, Pat! Just like JL, I find ASD too shiny on tires, but to each their own. I've been blown by Tropi-Care tire dressing, it gives me that SV Pneu look for the fraction of the cost, and is virtually indestructible with two coats. It outlasts ALL other tire dressings I've used, BOUTIQUE tire dressings, that it, it's non-greasy, milky water based tire dressing...anyway, I myself really like Ultima Trim Guard, it is less messy to work with then BW, less shiny, and VERY DURABLE. It is well worth the cost. I also tried Ultima Interior sealant and really like it too. Those that want durable protection from the sunon a daily driver that is parked outside, without spending a lot of time detailing it will absolutely love it.

10. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Damn that truck looks good for being 12 years old! Looks better than alot of the newer trucks I see!

11. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Looks Great Pat :applause:

12. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

:agree:

13. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Looking good Pats! :thumb:

14. barrym

barrym DB Forum Supporter

Amazing!

15. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Great job Pat the paint is lookin great. I am with you ASD is so far my fav tire dressing. I apply it right after a wash and let it just soak into the rubber. If the customer likes a shinnier tire I leave it, if they like a more matte look I will wipe excess off with a cotton towel. It is versitale, looks great and holds up very well

16. richy

richy Guest

Pat..the Ford looks fantastic! Have you owned it long? It seems like it since how well it cleans up. Great job!