1994 Porsche 993 Paint Hardness

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Ron1, May 30, 2009.

1. Ron1

Ron1 Virgin Detailer

I will be working on a friends 993 today and was wondering if any of you have any experience with this year car. I've heard the paint can be sticky but on my 02 it is not.

Plan to use Menz SIP followed by RD and I have a wide assortment of CCS pads. Just looking for any advice from you guys that have adone one before.

2. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

If its a 94 and not repainted it should be single stage and therefore not hard to correct however you have to keep your pads clean when dealing with ss painted cars because the pads will gum up with paint quickly.

The sticky porsche paint we all know and hate is seen on late model cars w/ clears, not on the earlier single stage ones.

Unless the car is hacked up terribly you wont need a very a aggressive combo to correct it, dont think SIP and an orange ccs is the way to go just because the paint looks very swirled. Start off light with 106 and a green pad and see how that works for ya.

Good luck, take pics!

3. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Thanks for the advice dsms and thanks to Ron for posting. I have a red 993 Turbo S scheduled for later in June and was going to ask about the paint :thumb:

4. Anthony

Anthony Birth of a Detailer

Actually the single stage will be on the hard side BUT as noted it's essential to keep the pads from clogging up.

Anthony

5. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Do not see many 993's these days at the shop but a Turbo S(1997) is still a special car and pulls big resale numbers to this day.

6. detailjohn

detailjohn Detailers Advertising Scheme

Unless the car is in Europe, the 993 was only from 1995 to 1998. It was released in Europe in 1994. Here, the 1994 911 is called a 964.

John

7. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Wow DetailJohn, you really know your Porsches:cig: