1993 GMC Vandura Conversion Van oxidation removal

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by BigDreZ28, Dec 2, 2012.

1. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

Close family friend stumbled upon this 93 Vandura out on vacation in Cali, bought it, and drove it back this summer. Solar panel on the roof, etc etc pretty decked out.
    It was in decent shape, besides a long key mark on the passenger side and peeling clear on the fiberglass.
    I helped him do a simple polish on it to remove oxidation, interior was not touched. I also tried to do a better job of documenting this job :lol:

[​IMG]

Wheels were in good shape, not very dirty or etched up...this picture shows them wet from foggy morning dew

[​IMG]

It was keyed at some point, shame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fiberglass clear peeling

[​IMG]

1z anti-insekt took care of these bugs very nicely

[​IMG]

Owner hit the wheels with my whoolies after I degreased the tires and arches

[​IMG]

Original spare according to the owner, he will remove the rack and repaint it later due to surface rust.

[​IMG]

We removed the bug guard for good reason

[​IMG]

dirt came off pretty easily, even off the vinyl

[​IMG]

Dawn foam. Cloud cover came and went perfectly. No direct sunlight when washing, then the sun came out. The clouds returned just in time later on when it was time for final wax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to try the autoscrub by hand this time, I enjoyed it and didn't experience excessive fatigue even on this beast.
    I also used the nanoskin hand attachment on the polishing pad where the GG3 could not be used.

[​IMG]

After autoscrub...I also scrubbed the windows. Rinsed and blot dried with a leaf blower/chamois.

[​IMG]

Most of the vehicle showed readings around 120, the driver side quarter panel showed a lil bit lower.

[​IMG]

This scratch came out nicely with a lil m105

[​IMG]

Heavy oxidation behind the bug guard.

[​IMG]

I used AF Tripple on the entire vehicle, left side of the hood behind the bug guard polished, right side unpolished.

[​IMG]

I was able to remove 95% of this streaky nonsense

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had trouble polishing the ladder, but it's half broke and kinda sketchy to climb on. It will need to be removed and repaired.

[​IMG]

Passenger rear door unpolished, passenger front door polished

[​IMG]

Driver fender before and after

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top of driver door polished, bottom half "limited" in the reflection (ba-dum-psh! I got jokes eh?)

[​IMG]

Driver door complete

[​IMG]

After polish, before 1z Glanz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gave the owner some metal polish to use on the bumpers and trim while I polished paint

[​IMG]

Final shots after AF satin tire dressing and Adam's undercarriage spray. Owner cleaned and reinstalled the bug guard while I removed wax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imagine how great this shot would have been without the key damage!

[​IMG]

Since there was still soap in the foam gun, he did a quick wash/autoscrub/1z glanz on his expedition while I worked on the van. He had never heard of the autoscrub before and enjoyed using it by hand as well. Wheel woolies worked great on this too. The beast has some light marring from his usual wash methods but not bad at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've only done a few cars but i must say this is the first one I'm truly proud of results wise.

2. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Looks good :)

3. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

Thank you!

4. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

I enjoy seeing threads like this. Don't get me wrong, correcting Aston Martin's and Ferarri's is awesome; but its cool to see older, blue collar, daily driver vehicles get love too.

5. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

thanks!

6. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Awesome detail, nice to see something different for a change.

7. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

Thank you for the props! I was indeed looking forward to doing this one since it's different...and gave me a chance to really try out AF tripple like I saw in one of the product review threads with faded/oxidized paint.

8. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

Dude. I would pimp the HELL outta that cool ass old van ANY DAY of the week!!!! What a wicked cool retro crusin' van!!!! Nice work bruthaman!!

9. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

Looks bad ass man. You can totally see the difference in depth and gloss from polishing. Great work!

10. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

Ya it's pretty slick haha thank you
    Thanks!

11. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

Here's a quick shot of the interior that's in excellent shape:

[​IMG]

12. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

WANT!!!! So vintage.........

13. ChrisJobe