1991 Prelude- no clear

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Dannyk, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

I purchased a low mileage 1991 Prelude with red paint, which was garaged kept by the original owner. As i found out, this car has no clear. Any suggestions how to manage the process on buffing this paint. I've used the Menz Final Finish and a Megs polish pad with a rotary to buff the paint and still get quite a bit of paint on the pad, so any recommendations would help me approach in a more feasible fashion.

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Single stage paint correction will be the same, basically the same, as correction on clear coats. Only problem is the paint that will transfer to the pads will not come off the pads so just know that. Paint transfer is perfectly normal as you are removing very thin paint layers in this case instead of clear layers. The staining of the pads after you clean them will not harm the pads performance in any way just will not clean out 100% from my experience.

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Since you are polishing the paint directly, you will keep getting "red" on your pads. You will polish the paint like you would if it had clear on it: least aggressive method first, until you get the desired results.