1966 Mustang Exterior Paint Correction

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by HOOVER, Jul 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. HOOVER

HOOVER Member

Good afternoon! I have been waiting for an opportunity to break into the classic car/street rod market and maybe this will blow that door wide open. We have an event here in about 3 weeks and would love to have a few more like this to do in preparation for the Grand Rapids Metro Cruise. I live 3 streets away from the main drag of cruise and can't wait!! Client is a co-worker and in process of establishing his own body shop/restoration business. He inherited vehicle from his father and was entering a car show with it this weekend. He asked if he could borrow one of my polishers to get it ready. Upon talking with him, he said do you want to detail it?? Heck yeah!! Let me deal with this, you go relax!! On with show...arrival was no big deal. It was repainted years ago, and very clean. I did a simple wash with Dawn dish soap to strip finish. What was revealed...
    [​IMG]

Hazzy/scratchy finish...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Stang...
    [​IMG]

With Rupes swirl finder light...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lets tame this Stang!! I knew exactly what combo I wanted to use on this beauty. A HUGE shout out to Phil at Detailers Domain!! I called and he took the time to understand where I was at and what I was looking for. I went with a Rupes LHR15 MK II. Outstanding service from Phil and what an awesome polisher!! Huge upgrade and worth every penny!! Hit it!!
    [​IMG]

So much smoother and faster at cutting defects..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This combo rocks!! Nice and clear...still compounding only...
    [​IMG]

50/50 shots...was on a tight timeline with this one...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Client sent me a text asking how it was going...I sent him this "teaser" pic...I can't type his response here...lol.
    [​IMG]

Having fun with lighting...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having my Rupes as my heavy hitter, my Megiures D/A is now my 3" polisher...
    [​IMG]

Perfect for these tight areas..
    [​IMG]

Finishing up compounding...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to do a one step correction, but in honor of clients father and it was going into a car show, I went over it with Meg's Finishing wax..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's time..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's take it out...daylight was going fast...but....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Color is red...or was...looks like hints of purple/lavender....maybe just sunlight hitting clouds..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the look on these rear fenders!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tucked away awaiting client pick up and walk thru...
    [​IMG]

A huge THANK YOU to client for this chance!! Thank you Phil at D.D.!! And thank you fellow detailers here! I always welcome comments, questions and compliments!! Total time correcting was only 5 hours with new Rupes...amazing machine!! 2 more hours applying Netshield and wrapping it all up. No interior or anything. Looking for more work in this market for sure!! Have a great day and go live your dream!! Be tenacious in your pursuits of what you love to do!!

Hoover

CG6Lemon likes this.
  2. Sizzle Chest

Sizzle Chest New Member

Excellent work and pics! Thanks for posting!

3. CG6Lemon

CG6Lemon New Member

only 5 hrs of polishing??? Nice results.

4. HOOVER

HOOVER Member

Thanks guys!! Quick update....Client won "Best of Ford" Award Saturday!! Whoowhoooo!! He just wanted to enter and hang out....NICE! 200+ other vehicles at show....how cool indeed!!

Hoover