1966 Chevelle SS 396 car in for some paint correction (Aztec Bronze)

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by RaskyR1, Jul 9, 2013.

1. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Been a while since I've posted some of my work again.... :D

First I have to give thanks to everyone who referred the owner to me over on AGO. I also have to thank the owner for giving me the opportunity to work on his baby and for making the long trip down from Canada. There is a really great story to this cars history but it's been a couple months since I did the car and unfortunately I've forgotten a lot of the details. I believe he bought it new, used it in his wedding, eventually sold it and many years later found it again and restored it to the condition you see now. He wasn't really looking for the same car either, it just happened to be listed for sale at the time he was looking and a friend mentioned seeing it....sounds like fate to me! :)

Car as it arrived.
    [​IMG]

Overall condition was actually in great shape! The owners main concern was a bird dropping stain and some water spot etching on the roof. It had been 7-8 years since it was painted and I pointed out some fine swirls and light shrink areas. I had also found several long, straight, moderate scratches on the horizontal panels...anyone want to guess what those are from? :) After looking the car over we agreed to hit the more noticeable areas with some wet sanding and do a 1-step correction after spot hitting the deeper defects.

[​IMG]

Shrink
    [​IMG]

More shrink and light bird poo stain
    [​IMG]

1500/3000 grit sanding via my new Mirka Ceros DA sander and by hand around the fender. Gotta thank Kevin Brown for getting the Ceros to me! :)

[​IMG]

Light swirls were hard to capture
    [​IMG]

After with Fenix LED
    [​IMG]

After with Brinkmann
    [​IMG]

I had really hoped to get some nice sun shots when we were all done but this was the weather I had.....we waited a while but ended up loading it back up in the rain. :(
    [​IMG]

Finished shots...these don't do any justice for the color and it looks amazing in the sun!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a Canadian spec car so you may notice some differences over the US models.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did I mention that it had a 427 with over 630hp and does the 1/4 in the high 10's? :) (Owner still has the 396 too)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After loading it up and drying it off in the trailer the rain stopped! Go figure!!! All dried down and covered back up for the long ride home.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking,
    Rasky

2. fech

fech Birth of a Detailer

That was a great job! The car looks amazing. How do young like the sander? By the way, how lucky is that guy?

3. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

amazing, i'm not too familiar with the "paint shrink" is that what had to be fixed with wetsanding?

4. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Thank you!

I love the Ceros! Very smooth and VERY quiet! My compressor is pretty loud and it's one of the main reasons I bought the Ceros. It's got plenty of power to be used as a polisher too. I actually first used it at the NXTi class last year with a MF cutting pad and D300. Plenty of power to do the job but at it's highest settings it can have a slight hand tingling sensation so I wouldn't use it for anything more than finishing if you plan to use it as a polisher too.

Thank you. Yes, wet sanding was done to remove the paint shrink. As the paint continues to cure over time you will see the paint "shrink" down if you will, which can leave a rough or distorted texture. Here are some better examples from previous jobs.

before
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

before
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

5. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

wow that looks very sharp. love the paint on that sucker too!

6. Domel

Domel Virgin Detailer

Great car, great project, great work, to small amount of pictures ;)
    Really nice to watch American old-timers being detailed. There are so many boring cars here, like another Porsche, another Lambos, another BMW etc etc , so it's nice to see something classy !

More project like this here ! BMW, Lambos, Porches are boooooooooring. ;)

7. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Thanks! I do regret not taking more pics but the owner was with me watching me work most of the time and he had a long drive ahead of him....stopping to take lots of pics just felt wrong.

The owner is actually back in town this weekend for the Car Craft Summer Nationals. I'm going to try and get some pics of it in the sun if I can make it to the show. He's also picking up $380 worth of detailing supplies from me so that he can handle any polishing needs and car care from here on out. ;)

8. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Wow! great job car looks amazing :)

9. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

Sexy dude! I don't "mind" taking indoor shots, but I PREFER to get those direct sun pics when possible! KILLER job nonetheless man.