14 SHO vs 14 Charger RT

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Meticulous-Detail, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

I am cross shopping a 14 SHO vs 14 Charger RT, with the following options:

14 SHO: 401a pkg, Performance pkg and NAV
    Total MSRP: 45k

http://www.ford.com/cars/taurus/trim/sho/

14 Charger RT: Road and Track pkg, Driver confidence group, Super Track Pack and NAV
    Total MSRP: 37K

http://www.dodge.com/en/2013/charger/rt/

Straight line performance they are both very close 0-60 5.2-5.4 1/4mph 13.7, on the track automotive reviews indicate the SHO seems to have the edge.

Personal PROS/CONS:

SHO:
    AWD
    Better track performer
    Better MPG

Charger RT:
    Cheaper
    Better looking
    More interior room

Thoughts?

2. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

3. Meticulous-Detail

Thanx, but not a big Chevy fan and first year of production for the SS.

4. NickBlaine

NickBlaine Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I am trading in my '11 300C today. While I believe the Charger's are great looking cars, I think Dodge/Chrysler leaves a bit to be desired. I had multiple warranty issues, then dealing with service issues. Depreciation is horrible. Depending on where you live, AWD is a huge plus! The 300 spins very easily in rain, let alone snow ( with decent all season tires). My father and grandfather both worked for Chrysler, so I have always steered more towards them. But, after my latest experience, I won't be considering them for a LONG time. Good luck on your search, and I look forward to your experience with either.

5. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

I would go FORD SHO for the equal performance and AWD. I live in NY and drive a performance Sedan (AWD) car and love it.

I would consider the Chevy 2nd. Even with the risk of the 1st year production I would give Chevy my Money over Dodge from what I have heard.

If I was spending that amount of Money I would check out the Subaru WRX 4 door sedan and save a few bucks at the same time. Just make sure you get Rally Blue:)

6. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

Actually, the Chevy SS is not a first-generation, but rather the latest iteration of what was once the Pontiac G8 (Holden) in the States. If you have driven the G8 you know that it's one helluva an automobile. Yes, it's a rebadged Holden/GM...as GM often does.

7. Meticulous-Detail

Leaning towards the SHO. No offense, but Subbie paint is a PIA and interior comfort and quality is poor, IMO. The SHO has a very nice interior and has a comfortable ride too.

8. MGEVOX

MGEVOX New Member

I'd pick the EVO I bought a few months ago in that range :). But seriously I don't like either that much but I like the styling of the charger much more and if you are willing to go up to the range of the sho why not go srt8?? I almost bought a focus st before I bought my evo and the build quality ford allows to go out is crap. But to each man his own.

9. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I would think some other factors might help make the choice easier.

Will this be the car you drive to work? If so how long is your commute?
    Do you have children? If so how easy will it be to get them in and out of the car?
    Which one offers the best preventative maintenance package when buying new?

10. Meticulous-Detail

See I have a different opinion on Fords. I have 3 of them and they all run very well and besides basic maintenance, don't have any issues. I am getting the SHO for invoice minus 3750 in rebates, so the price is about 38k. A nicely equipped Charger or 300 SRT8 at invoice is about 10k more. Plus no AWD. An SHO with just tune will run 0-60 4.6 and the 1/4 in mid 12's.

This will be my wife's DD to and from work and when she want an SUV we have a Durango RT she can use too. We have children and need the space too. Plus I like the comfort of AWD. The Ford dealership I use take care of me very well, as I throw them a ton of business from my work fleet and I send all my Mustang buds there for service. That is another reason I am leaning towards the SHO.

11. MGEVOX

MGEVOX New Member

Enjoy the SHO you've clearly made your mind up hope you bought it already sure wifey will love it. Maybe it was just the focus st's but there was paint drips in the seams, gaps were different sizes on all the hoods, and the gaps between the hood and fenders. Just me being OCD. Enjoy the car!!!

tdekany likes this.
  12. Meticulous-Detail

Thanx. I would have really love to get a CTS-V or 300 srt8, but a bit much for me. As soon as the G decides to start sending me my paycheck again I will be at the dealer the next day...............lol

13. MGEVOX

MGEVOX New Member

Yea ctsv now that's a nice one. Sorry to hear the g crap is affecting you.

14. Meticulous-Detail

Looks like a change of plans, deal on Charger is much better $$. Waiting to hear back on a loaded Silver RT with the black top pkge.

15. MGEVOX

MGEVOX New Member

We'll keep us posted and through up a pic of whatever you do end up with.

16. SRT8Spartan

SRT8Spartan DB Forum Supporter

As a Jeep SRT8 owner I would say that given the choice of 14 SHO and 14 R/T, the obvious choice is the SHO. The SHO's are incredible, from interior features to build quality. Now if you were to change that to a 14 SHO to a 13/14 SRT Super Bee then thats a harder decision as the prices are almost the same, a buddy of mine bought a 6.4 super bee this summer and with a simple tune and intake that thing ran a 12.1 at the track with under 10k on the clock. The SHO is awesome though man, my uncle works for ford and has 5 of them and I've messed around with them and its fun. Especially if its for your wife I would say SHO is your best bet, looks like you are going comfortability first and performance second and that is exactly the SHO. The charger (esp SRT) is performance first and comfortability second. So get her that SHO and if you wanna go fast every once in a while you'll have it. Leave the SRT for someone who will use the power :D haha. she'll be much more comfortable in the land boat.

17. Meticulous-Detail

[SIZE=10.5pt]I spend plenty of time in the both the Taurus and Charger at work. The Charger is much more comfortable then the Taurus and the Tarus is cramped inside, the Fusion has more interior room than the Taurus. The performance numbers for the SHO and the RT are almost exactly the same. Yes the Taurus has a nicer interior materials then the Charger, but as far as space the Charger wins hands down. SHO is fun to drive, as I had the chance to play around with one, but so is the Charger and the black top pkge adds 3.06 gears, 145 top speed, paddle shifters and sport mode 2. Looking for the best bang for the buck in a full size performance sedan, for us the exterior looks, interior space, and price won us over. If I could I would go CTS-V.[/SIZE]

18. Meticulous-Detail

Decided to go with a 13 Charger RT, Billet Silver, Black Top pkge, 29P pkge, NAV, driver convenience and sunroof. Go fast goodies include: performance suspension, 145 MPH top speed, Sport Mode 2, 3.06 rear and Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

Not actual car

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. MGEVOX

MGEVOX New Member

Congrats on the new addition and an easy color to maintain at that!!

20. Meticulous-Detail

Thanx. Love silver for swirls...........lol

Here is actual
    [​IMG]