105: Rotary vs PC

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by merlin3008, Apr 13, 2010.

1. merlin3008

merlin3008 Birth of a Detailer

i thought i had put my PC away for good once i tried and fell in love with the rotary. but i decided to try some M105 with the PC and a wool pad last night since my neighbor brought his beat over last night to resurrect.

i primed the pad, spread the polish around and put the PC up to 5 to polish at medium to high pressure. if i didn't get the work time i needed, i misted the pad with some water. i slowly eased up as i went along. pretty amazing. i'll post pics soon, but i didn't really document it because it wasn't intended to be a full detail. however, it is now since the neighbor was so impressed that he's left in my garage for the week for me to finish up after hours. he's going to powerwash my house so it's fair deal :)

anyone else have strong feelings on PC vs. Rotary with m105???? anyone have any comments on my technique??

2. richy

richy Guest

The advantage the rotary has over the PC is the speed of correction. You will find the same with dealing with 105...it will correct faster with the rotary than with the PC.

3. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I think Jason confirmed this as well. Even so, if you exclusively use a PC it's worth picking up. I should get a bottle soon.

4. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I need a bottle too. I think I may trade one with kk. He doesn't know this yet though :D

5. Tjfrom215

Tjfrom215 Birth of a Detailer

With my Makita, I just get work done much faster, if im in a time crunch,
    thats when ill use it, although I shouldnt worry about time, dont want to rush things,
    I love my PC xp, its my favorite and use it whenever I have as much time as I want.
    although the difference isnt drastic in time..

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

For one step polishes, you can't beat a pc. Because ( bad grammar, I know ) of its inability to leave holograms and marring if you allow the polish to break down, you can use a way more aggressive pad/polish combo with your pc and not have to follow it up with anything. With a rotary, you are limited in the amount of correction you can do with a rotary without having to follow up with a finishing polish. Sure the finish may not be as bright and shiny as we would all like, but the AVERAGE client will be tickled with the results. Remember, we are talking one steps, not full on correction. The following VW Beetle was 7 years old and never polished. Poor washing habits had plagued the poor car. I had one day to do the exterior. The car wash polished with my PC and Megs 105 using a Menzerna compounding pad. It was not followed up with anything other than 2 coats of Colli 845.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 2TONLT1

2TONLT1 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

That came out well!!!

8. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I use a pc for all my details and thank God for 105 and 205 they have been a great tool to use. I still fear the rotary. May 1 I will be goin to Charlotte to meet up with Dave a great friend and detailer to learn the rotary and wet sanding

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Have you got a PTG? Wetsanding without one is like driving drunk with your eyes closed. Paint thicknesses can vary widely, even on the same panel. Without a ptg, you are just asking for trouble.

10. richy

richy Guest

Couldn't agree more (like the analogy too). In fact, I'd say buy the PTG first and then the rotary.