1 month old Flex shutting off?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by mikenap, Aug 23, 2010.

1. mikenap

mikenap Jedi Nuba

Hey everyone, I'm having an issue with my Flex, starting today. It's about a month old, but has only been used 3 times. In the middle of a light job today, it went through a "phase" where it shut down 4 or 5 times in a 10 minute span. I'd let it cool down, then it would shut off again rather quickly. After a while, I let it sit and switched to a G110 for about 30 minutes, then came back to it and it seemed fine.

The usual culprit would be the extension, but I've got a beefy 12g cord, so I don't think that's the issue. I never oiled the felt ring, and I will, but I've read that's more to extend the life of the backing plate. And doing a google search didn't turn up much either. It was a hot day today, but even when it shut off on me, the housing wasn't so hot that I couldn't touch it. I doubt it's overheating, but I really don't know for sure.

Has anyone ever had an issue like this, and if so, how did you fix it? TIA

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Birth of a Detailer

Return it!

3. 2011LE

2011LE Any Rag Vehicle Washer

+1, I think it was just overheated. Go for the exchange since it's still under warranty I guess.

4. mikenap

mikenap Jedi Nuba

Thanks for the advice guys. Just a question, do you ever run the Flex at speed 6 for correction?

5. mikenap

mikenap Jedi Nuba

OK, after talking to Chris@Flex, he thinks that polishing outdoors in 90+ temps may have caused the heat sensors to shut down the machine. I'm going to try the machine again this weekend in my garage, to see if being covered will be the solution. If not, I will be sending it back to Powerhouse for service.

Thanks a ton to Phil@DD and Chris@Flex for taking the time to help me with this issue. I'll see how this weekend goes and report back.

6. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

Hey, I had the exact same issue with my 3403 a couple of months ago. Was through half the hood on my Acadia and it went into thermal shutdown mode. WTF??? Anyway, fell back to my 3401 and all was good.

7. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

Oops, double-post, feel free to delete.

8. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

Mine went back to flex 2x (it wouldn't turn on) and once it came back, 2 hours later it stopped. Now I have a new one. It turns out that if I hold it BP up it runs. Turn it and it stops. Have it replaced. Based on my experience ( my first 3401 was stolen and I really abused it and worked perfect) it maybe a lemon like my 2nd one. Cost me $27 each time to return it to flex.

A new product should work perfect. Period.

9. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

I've polished like 4-5 times in the 110 degree heat and I never had it shut down on me. Then again I never ran it continuously... Sometimes I would bring my flex inside the house to cool down the metal plate for like 5 mins. Sometimes I use my PC so that the 3401 could take a break lol! But my first 3 details were purely done by the flex.

10. mikenap

mikenap Jedi Nuba

Well, from what you guys are telling me, I may end up having to send it back. I'm still going to give it a workout, but I'm a little apprehensive that it may die on me when I need it most. If it does, all I have to fall back on is a G110 and Surbufs, and I haven't tested those on this particular car so I'm starting to pucker a little. I guess I'll just have to see what happens. Either way, the CS from both Phil and Chris@Flex has been nothing short of stellar. I'm confident it will be taken care of.