'07 Lamborghini Gallardo Brought Back to Life on Long Island

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Will, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Will

Will Any Rag Vehicle Washer

There are plenty of Lamborghini’s on Long Island. One in every color can be spotted if you look carefully. So how does your Lamborghini stand out? How can you get people to really look at your car? I say, “Detail it to become as glossy as a mirror.” This particular client found me through a shop that I often to detailing work for. The original plan for this particular Lamborghini was to wrap it flat black but why waste such a beautiful super car? We had to do some mild polishing and cleaning to remove the clear bra properly before wrapping so we decided to detail a test panel on the hood and let the results speak for themselves.

[​IMG]
    Lamborghini Gallardo Detail Before by Xclusive Autoworks, on Flickr

[​IMG]

After displaying how much gloss and how deep of a finish achieved, the client decided to detail the car and forget the vinyl wrap. He made the best decision in his life. We scheduled a 2 day appointment for 8 hours each day. I started the day by giving the entire car a thorough wash and degrease. Started off on the wheels with some Sonax Full Effect as seen in the pictures.

[​IMG]

The condition of this particular Gallardo was horrendous but not unexpected. Proper care of a black car is difficult and takes experience and knowledge of the proper wash techniques which few understand and even less actually abide by. Here are some before shots I took before detailing this Gallardo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found the most effective method of leveling the paint without removing too much while detailing a test spot on the hood. I proceeded to follow that method along with a few other various combinations on the rear deck. Here are some pictures I took during the detail to display the level of correction achieved.

[​IMG]
    Lamborghini Gallardo Detail During by Xclusive Autoworks, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of the panels were in serious need of intense paint correction and ever panel was heavily compounded and polished to level out most of the scratches and all of the swirling. The difficulty in detailing a Gallardo is mostly due to the exotic and intricate body lines and thin panels. Many panels had to be worked with a 3″ pad and a smaller machine to fit in the tight areas and to prevent burning through the paint. Extra care was taken on these smaller panels but they were corrected nonetheless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lamborghini Gallardo Detail After by Xclusive Autoworks, on Flickr

[​IMG]

Shown below are just some of the various pads used during the correction process. Many difference combinations had to be used to achieve flawless results. I used Megs MF cutting discs, Uber Yellow, Uber Green, Uber Orange, and Surbuf Cutting discs.

[​IMG]
    Lamborghini Gallardo Detail Paint Correction by Xclusive Autoworks, on Flickr

After the 3 step correction process and properly prepping the surface of the vehicle the, Lamborghini was ready for one of the best surface protectants in the world. Opticoat. Opticoat is a permanent ceramic clear coat with superior scratch resistance and protection from chemical etching and damage. Opticoat is similar to a wax in the sense that it protects the paint but Opticoat is far more superior and will provide much more protection in every dimension. After putting in 16 hours of correction, you sure don’t want to have to go through the entire process again in weeks. You want the best and the best this car will get.

[​IMG]
    Lamborghini Gallardo Detail Opticoat by Xclusive Autoworks, on Flickr

And now onto the final photographs. These pictures below are not modified in any way besides watermarked. Hope you enjoy looking at the after-detail pictures as much as I do! You can click on any of the pictures for a high resolution image.

[​IMG]
    Lamborghini Gallardo Detail Afer by Xclusive Autoworks, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The correction process came to around 12 hours split between 2 days. Some panels got super hot with even the slightest amount of buffing so my technique and tools varied across the entire car. I personally really enjoyed the challenge this car presented to me and I love having the opportunity to restore hammered black cars. It really shows what true correction and diligence can offer.

For more information about the Long Island detailer visit:
    XclusiveAutoworks.com

2. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Great work!

3. Will

And a video I made after the detail

[video=youtube;GKK6L8cuF58]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKK6L8cuF58&hd=1[/video]

4. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Nice job!

5. CG6Lemon

CG6Lemon New Member

awesome job on the rear vents with paint.

6. Will

Thanks guys. It was a challenging detail took a lot of different combos to get it right in each panel but was a really great learning experience and I hope there are more of these in the future.