(07) corvette

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by carguy461, Dec 12, 2008.

1. carguy461

carguy461 Two Bucket System Washer

Is the clear coat on a ( 07) silver corvette soft or hard, have on to do come correction work on it next week...and what pad choices should I use I have cc 5.5" pads and merzerna p106ff polish and powergloss and some xmt 3, and xmt 2 , and a mikita rotory at hand to use...:applause2:thanks

2. diddy

diddy Virgin Detailer

More than likely it will be very hard; Corvette has some of the hardest clear GM uses. Can't comment on pads w/ Makita. If I was using my Flex, depending on paint condition, 106FF w/ orange and see where that got me and make slight adjustments. Good luck.

3. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

99% of the time it's hard.

4. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

It's hard, don't ask how I know. I wouldn't use the orange pad on the vette.

5. carguy461

Then start with a white pad and p106ff? Why not a orange pad ? Thanks for the information.:applause2:

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Start with a white pad/106ff. If that doesn't work go with a wool pad and some sip. To finish up use a blue pad with some ultrafina or 85rd. If you do not have either of those use your 106ff on a blue pad and use a little more heat than you normally would and the gloss will be awesome. The xmt is not going to give you the results that are needed. The orange pad and the vette clear just don't play well together, between mine and numerous others that I have done it just isn't a good combo, much better results when the orange pad is left out of the process.

7. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

This is exactly what I do. I will use the Purple Foamed pad and follow up with a white or green pad. I also use and love the ceramic polishes.

8. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

The green ccs pad and sip make a great combo, try this first before moving to wool. Thanks agent for reminding me about the green pad.

9. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Do you have a guess as to why? Is this just with the vette clear or GM vehicles in general?

10. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

The marring that it induces is horrible. My rule of thumb is if it needs anything from an orange pad or more wool is used. Wool is much easier to control, less marring, and levels the paint better than foam which in turns gives you a better surface to work with and a higher gloss level. Between the hardness of the clear and the stiffness of the orange pad is what seems to make a bad combination.

11. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Is this advice for Corvettes in particular, or for all vehicles?

12. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Are you talking about the wool or just the orange pad and vette clear. I would use this for any type of vehicle, anything more than a green pad and I would go with wool. If that doesn't clear up your question let me know and I will be more specific for you.

13. carguy461

Thanks guys for the information, took a look at it this morning, not bad at all it is a ( 08) instead of ( 07 ) as I stated before sorry, nice silver, looks like p106ff for it, then a glaze he wants a real wet look to the car, use cg arcrlic glaze then 845 next to seal in the look.. hope it come out nice... Thanks the pad i will start is white not a rotory will use my DA instead...:applause2:

14. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

The rotary and 106ff with a white pad and alittle more heat than usual will produce great gloss followed up with 85rd on a blue pad. Always finish up with atleast a blue pad. Reason behind this is the gloss is night and day difference between using the da and rotary on this clear, plus you will not need the glaze, just a heads up. Lets us know how it comes out.

15. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

Just make sure that it is the German green.

16. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Hey, no back talk-lol

17. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Does PFW deliver results on a PC? Just wondering since I've used the orange as my most aggressive pad, and have a PFW pad still in the packaging, since I didn't know if the PC would provide results with it.

18. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

:D Just wanted to make sure that they didn't use the other green pad (which is junk IMO) and make a mess.