'06 STI- One step recommendation

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by GDAL, Aug 3, 2011.

1. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

One of my good buddies wants me to do a quick one-step on his grey '06 STI. He just moved from GA a couple of weeks ago, so I haven't inspected the vehicle yet. I know everyone complaints about sticky paint. He doesn't want a full correction. I was thinking about poliseal mixed with the new OPT polish II.

What do you guys use for one-steps on Subaru paint?

2. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Gianni I'd probably go with a DA if you werent planning too already.

If you have Menzerna 106FA I'd say that would work nice with a green polishing pad. The grey paint shouldnt be as finicky as black so I dont think you should have too much trouble.

3. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

be glad its not blue LOL.

Ive been playing with the new chemical guys polish, ill let you know how that goes.........

4. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Thanks for the advice Dave. I'll keep this combo in mind.

5. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Has anyone verified if these are relabeled Meg polishes? I do have the MF system. I was thinking about doing the D301 with the finishing pad. It probably has more cut than poliseal.

6. Kilo6_one

Is that the rumor? I would not be surprised, my friend used it with a white hexlogic and got some decent results on a VW R32, not 100%, about 75%, we are going to try a orange pad and see what happens.

7. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Well I don't know ... I thought I read somewhere that the system uses MF pads and someone mentioned it. I shouldn't have posted that ... I hate starting rumors without any solid evidence.

8. Kilo6_one

Well, dont feel bad.... I read that too, I would not be surprised if it was similar.

9. richguy66

richguy66 DB Forum Supporter

CG is coming out with mf pads in the US within the next few weeks. I don't know how different they are to the Meg's pads but I plan on purchasing the CG ones when they come out and trying it out with the CG polishes. I also have some Meg's mf pads to compare them with.

10. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

PC7424XP + Menz Power Finish + Polishing Pad (DD Uber Green).

11. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

I have been fortunate enough to do 12teen billion subarus and I can tell you that Dave is right on with the DA suggestion. I am not sure why but I haven't had any cars I would consider sticky(and I have done just about every color). Though I do notice alot of people will sometimes try to "force" something to work as opposed to being a little dynamic with their selections.

CGM, SGM and UGM will end up being noticeably harder(its not crazy hard, but if you do enough you quickly notice), so you could even bump up a half "click" from 106 and still finish down beautifully.

if you onto something with SMAT, 205 on a light cut pad OR DAT abrasives, something that you can extend with a mist of water would be perfect.

If you are using D301 - I would put it on a light cut pad or something to "push" the level of aggressiveness. It has a mechanical package(i think unlike poliseal which doesnt) but it is very mild and like with the DA MF pads, we noticed it seems to be the surface contact of the pad that does alot of the nice finishing.

I would imagine the common recommendation would be something along the lines of a M205 SMAT, P203, SIP on finishing foam or polishing foam(seriously) just worked to completion.

Subi Silvers are very nice to work with - no tricks IME

12. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Thanks for all the responses fellas!! I'll try to post pictures.

13. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I dont know about any speculation on Megs being relabeled as CG but IMHO I dont think that would or could ever be truthful.

Megs hit a homerun with the MF kit and polishes, not a shot in hell they would allow CG to legally replicate their formula for polishes or pads, if CG stole the concept of MF pads well thats understandable. Most products in detailing as we know are copies of originals.

14. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Thanks for the clarification Dave. It wasn't my intention to spread false rumors. I read this info in the forum a few days ago and thought it was a valid statement.

15. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I had a chance to detail the STI yesterday afternoon. I ended up using D301 on a green uber because we didn't have a lot of time to work on it. D301 is a really nice AIO and it did improve the gloss. IMO, it's really similar to Poliseal, but it amps the gloss a lot more. A breeze to wipe off. I did remove the clay bar marring. The car was in great shape for an 06 and the paint wasn't super soft.

I had a chance to drive it and they are amazing. This had one coilovers (BC?) a tune with an AMS exhaust system. The wifers already warned me that I shouldn't get one. I might trick her into buying a Spec B.

Thanks all,
    G

16. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

This is what I would use as well. If there are deeper RDS, use the Yellow B&S pad. It'll cut more and still leave a finish more than acceptable to go straight to your LSP.

17. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

No way CG would allow themselves to re-label and sell Megs stuff.... CG holds a higher standard than that.

I know for a fact they are not the same. CG has sent me many samples of V34,V36, and V38 and they are defiantly not the same as the Megs MF system.

I know you can use the V34/36/38 polishes with foam pads (which I have had great success in using) but IDK if the same can be done with the Megs MF system. Gonna have to try soon.

18. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

PowerFinish is an awesome one stepper.

Most of the times I use it with a orange light cutting pad and it still finishes down great.

19. freefallin2000

freefallin2000 Birth of a Detailer

Heck yeah, the B&S pads are awesome. Or you could try Megs 205 with the green. Step up to yellow if it's not cutting as much as you would like.

20. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

Subaru obsidian black is the devil's paint. My friend's marred by wiping it with good microfiber.