03 Black Z06 Severe Acid Rain/Water Spot Etching

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Asphalt Rocket, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

This is one of the worst cars I have had to do. I have well over 40 hours in this one. I got in contact with Adam(owner) through DaveS4-thanks. Adam was at the point that he didn't really care about the car anymore. I inspected his car and we set up a day for drop off. When he dropped it off he kept staring at my vette and I knew right threre that I had to make it as close to my car as possible. Needless to say when Adam picked up the car he was beyond happy which is what we all strive for.

Since Adam said he applied several coats of Zaino I washed the vehice with TAW to try and remove it that way. That did not work at all, same beading as when I rinsed the car before the wash. After four bathes of straight solvent the paint finally stopped beading. Did a final wash with TAW to remove the solvent. Between washing the car, the wheels, and wells one whole day was gone.

The paint correction was over a three day period with two of those days I worked till 6 am from starting at 9am the day prior. I used the DN method with the following combos, M105/wool pad, M105/Kompressor pad, M205/Kompressor pad, and final polished using Ultrafina and a blue CCS pad. LSP is Blackfire Wet Diamond, this is the slickest sealant I have used, by far my favorite sealant.

Here is what I had to work with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some 50/50 shots of the hood after M105/Wool pad
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now the final product
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Great job Dana, that thing was hammered!

3. Nica

Nica Banned

Well done Rocket vehicle looks much, much better. That was quite the damage though :shakehead:

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Holy crap Dana! What happened to his paint? That looked really messed up. Guess its time to try some 105/205.

5. richy

richy Guest

Dana..that was no detail, man, that was a RESTORATION!! Great work there indeed. I'm assuming you used the Dynabrade with the M105? I love mine and am still glad I listened to you on purchasing that.

6. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Great work there Dana!

7. Stems

Stems Birth of a Detailer

Awesome work!

In the befores, I've never seen paint in that condition, is that from the acid rain?

8. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Looks great Dana!!! Awesome resto!!!!!!!!

9. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

very nice i love black vettes :)

10. Tim_G

Tim_G Any Rag Vehicle Washer

50/50 shots were phenomenal. The vette looks great.

11. RNickolas

RNickolas Obsessive Detailer

so at what time do you want me over so you can do my 01 z06!

that's an extreme make over fa sho. So how thrilled was the owner

12. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I would also like to know if the owner had a new appreciation for his car, that paint was so sad looking..I guess the car is kept outside..amazing work there!

13. Tulipo

Tulipo Virgin Detailer

I am the owner of that car. I actually have always appreciated the car since I bought it last summer. I washed that car at least once a week and spent COUNTLESS hours/days using zaino products on it. No I did not have the car garaged 100% of the time but it was probably at least 70% of the time. Yes I will garage it everytime now. I have always appreciated my z06 I have no idea how the paint got so bad, maybe I used the wrong tecniques/products. If I didn't appreciate it, I wouldn't have taken it Dana in the first place.

I have asked Dana to show me better techniques on keeping it clean and he is also recommending me different products to use. No more zaino for me.

14. RNickolas

Welcome to the forums! I also have a black z06. From my experience with the paint, its pretty easily marred, so it could have been just the fact that it was outside and had a bad wash regimen (ie not a two bucket method). You'll learn alot from these forums...and dont let Dana fool you, zaino isnt a BAD product, there are just different proucts out there that accomplish the same thing or better at different price points.

15. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Proceed with this in mind; the products you use constitute a very small factor in the equation. Methodology and technique constitute 95%; the reasoning behind the choice of quality products is to eliminate any limiting factors, thus enabling you to place emphasis on technique used. There is no `one correct way' to apply a product; the way detailing products are customized are what each individual finds give them their desired results.

16. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Wow that's a hell of a turn around.

17. Tulipo

Tulipo Virgin Detailer

I agree and understand. That is why I am having Dana show me how he does it with the products he uses. That way I know I can keep it looking good. If I could properly use zaino on my car then I would continue to use it, but I cannot. I've asked Sal for advise and followed their procedures but my results were never as good as they should have been. I only live 4 miles from Dana so I know he can show me how to keep it looking great with whatever he uses.

18. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Looking mighty!

19. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Thanks Nica.

He was hit with sprinklers and he loves to drive his vette. I now have him on the right track.

Thanks Richy, it sure did. The show cars I wet sand and buff are easier than this was. Of course I used the manly buffer, and glad you are enjoying yours.

Thanks.

Acid rain, hard water and sprinkler systems. Plus the Zaino sealed it in so that did not help.

Thanks Heath.

Thanks, so do I and I don't know why-lol.

Thanks, those shots were only after M105/ wool pad combo, still had three steps to go and several of each of those steps before it was lsp ready.

Thanks, come on over. Here is very pleased and texted later in the day saying he couldn't stop looking at it.

Thanks, maybe a bad choice of words on my part. Her loves the car but was just bummed at the appearance. Now he is completely happy with the car. He has a garage but enjoys driving the car and being hit with sprinklers a few times will do that.

Sorry Adam, should have worded that differently, you were just bummed about the finish. Yes, we now have you on the road of recovery.

I wouldn't blame it on his wash regimen completely, with the rain here and the car getting hit with a sprinkler system and then being sealed in with the Zaino this is what you get. I am not fooling Adam, I have never liked the look of Zaino and none of there products would have removed the water stains. I will say it is very durable and that is about it.

Agreed Jon.

Thanks.

Adam sell them to BlackMach-lol. The stuff we talked about is alot more user friendly for you. Now no more driving in the rain-lol.

20. RNickolas

Well you have the guidance of an incredible detailer so you should be good to go!