02blackout | 2010 Ferrari California

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by 02blackout, Dec 2, 2012.

1. 02blackout

02blackout DB Forum Supporter

2010 Ferrari California

Was blessed to have the opportunity to treat this prestine California. Car was in fantastic shape. My task here is to prep it for a professional photoshoot that will make y’all need to change your diapers multiple times. You guys have seen that I like to get unique shoots so with this one I want to blow it out of the water. Like a /game over shoot.

However, here are some tips or techniques for any enthusiast or aspiring detailer..... So how do I put this lightly....? Like this:

How To Wash A Ferrari California

1. Found this gem hibernating, what could it be??? [​IMG]

2. Ready for treatment
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Befores

4. In fantastic condition, possibly the best I've worked on thus far. Still needs a true, credible treatment the owner can sustain and enjoy the "brand new" condition for years and years down the road.
    [​IMG]

5. Light dust
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Inside of those tips need some work
    [​IMG]

8. These massive brakes are carbon ceramic so NO degreasers were used to clean the wheel. JUST soap. Wheels weren’t in prestine shape so it went hand-in-hand.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Wash media. CG Maxi Suds used because of it’s high sud’zing ability
    [​IMG]

11. Tyres – Notice I switched to a different degreaser. Megz Super Degreaser to CG Grime Reaper. Both mixed 1:1. The Megz had very bad foaming/cleaning ability.
    [​IMG]

12. Wheel well – They WEREN’T plastic, don't know the name of the material but it was amazing. It could repel road junk wonderfully therefore making a thorough pressure wash does it for the wheel well task. Wanted the Megz OUT of my arsenal so used it in there.
    [​IMG]
    13. CG Wheel Brush – highly recommend. CG Wheel Brush. VERY sturdy opposed to the EZ brushes
    [​IMG]

14. Behind calipers
    [​IMG]

15. EZ Brush – handle broke off so a good remedy
    [​IMG]

16. SwissVax Wheel Brush
    [​IMG]

17. Tyres – sweet little metal bristle brush I found at a flea market. $1 LOL. Notice there’s no foam. But I just said I like foam right? My approach- split the tyre up into four quarters. Spray the degreaser on and while still foamy, agitate in a swirl motion then scrub scrub horizontally then agitate vertically to get between the sidewalls ribs.
    [​IMG]

18. Pressure wash tyre IMMEDIATELY after.
    [​IMG]

-----> BAM!!! Someone ppplease tell me that doesn't work :cig:
    19. P21S polishing soap – High recommend. It simply boosts/achieves even the litttlest bit more of that beautiful shine that we all crave. Also adds super protection upon rinsing. NOTE: This is a very useful/versatile product; especially for ripping thru bugs. I find it even works very well on the evermore popular trim metals among luxury and exotics. Like so:

E1
    [​IMG]

E2
    [​IMG]

20. Inner barrel treated
    [​IMG]

21. Attended exhaust tips as well. Used a mixture of degreaser and brushes for the build up.
    [​IMG]

The Wash

22. Light protection is apparent. Need to strip it off for a “clean slate”
    [​IMG]

23. Windows do too
    [​IMG]

24. Foam Cannon. NOTE: "Dry" rinsed with pressure washer. Thing is I just received a foam cannon but having compatibility issues I'm currently solving. Made sure I thorough got the skirts/undersides. Another pet peeve of mine. Think about it come the polishing stage. Might as well forget polishing down there if [to put it into simple terms] the surface isn't absolutely smooth to the touch. (to asses: feel paint with back of hand). You achieve this by a thorough CLAY BAR'ING
    [​IMG]

25. ---------
    [​IMG]

26. Prima Mystique – because it's an extremely gentle soap that I use on only the vehicles that I have already corrected and deserve the the top notch quality
    [​IMG]

27. Uber Wash Sponge – I recommend using a simple, high quality sponge opposed to the commonly microfiber or sheep skin mitts. This is because you can clearly see if any dirt specs/pieces clinged to the sponge even after using the two bucket w/ grit guard method. *A critical practice so you are 100% assured to not further marr the paint.
    [​IMG]

28. Wash shot – just because ;)
    [​IMG]

29. Trim/Emblems/Details – using a light light light mixture of CG Grime Reaper with Swissvax Brush. *Note: Do not recommend this. Because CG Grime Reaper is really strong and is intended for wheels. Always good to have two cleaners on hand. STRONG one for tough, ruthless, stubborn built up that these high-end cars' brakes and exhausts cake up.
    [​IMG]

30. Windshield cowl - Same light cleaner.
    [​IMG]

31. Details – Cars will always have build up in the cracks. Despite this Cali being in great shape, still gotta do a proper wash!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

33. AutoScrub w/ ONR lube thru a Kwazar sprayer – This new innovative combo drastically cuts claying time- did this in 15min. Make sure to use plenty of lube, thats why I love this sprayer.
    [​IMG]

34. Protocol is to start on glass then proceed to paint
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

37. Full full rinse, no bubbles coming from anywhere.
    [​IMG]

38. Drying – works beautifully. the slickness Prima Mystqiue leaves behind reads adds the water beads run-off
    [​IMG]

WASH COMPLETE. ________________________________________________________________

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41. Now time for paint correction
    [​IMG]

42. Paint correction - no pics, just a glimpse what made the “turn around.” Seriously think about it --- a car can be washed by any ole [ADD] average joe but nothing compares to a true, professional paint correction that only a select few can offer.
    [​IMG]

43. Polish removal - Checking all cracks/crevices/emblems/details with a 200 lumen Led Lensor LED tactical torch. *Good practice to have one of these on hand to check paint under a different kind of late shade (others are: halogen, sun) to insure that even the most micro swirls are removed.
    [​IMG]

Hope this was informative and Questions and comments are welcome.

////////////////////////////////////////////////

PHOTOSHOOT COMING SOON

Lance
    Memphis, TN