▀▄ Miglior Detailing: Very heavy Correction!!! ▄▀

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Miglior, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Miglior

Miglior DB Pro Supporter

[​IMG]

Please take the time to view our full website!!
    Detailing In Lancashire Manchester & North West - Miglior Detailing!

If you want to see daily update and photos, please follow us! Links are below!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BMW 335d - Full Correction

Hi guys, thanks very much for stopping by and checking out another write up of ours! It is always greatly appreciated for you to take the time and read what we do at Miglior Detailing; I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I love getting awesome results.

In for a detail this time is a 5-year-old BMW 335d that has seen better days if I'm honest. The owner recently purchased this car from a dealership. On purchasing the car didn't look too bad for a 5-year-old car, a few marks here and there but nothing too bad to report. Then after a few weeks, the owner noticed the finish started getting worse and worse. It was pretty clear the dealership filled a LOT of defects in the car, leaving the owner dissatisfied. The owner who is based near Blackpool searched out a valeter/detailer local to himself and let that company loose on the car. This resulted in possibly a worse finish, leaving me to pick up the pieces and try and get a decent result.

The car came into me with buffer trails, wax residue everywhere which actually took me a very long to remove. Needless to say the owner was not happy with the previous detailers work and money was refunded. So, on with the task in hand, I started the detail. I was quite worried at how aggressive the previous detailer had been with the paintwork, so this was something that was every present in my mind.

Here is the car upon arrival.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So as you can see, some very deep defects, plus poor attempts at rectifying them. Here we can see the residue I mentioned earlier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's pretty clear to see the car has had a tough life, even the glass was swirled and scratched!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, onto the wash stage. As you can see, no protection whatsoever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the car was cleaned & chemically decontaminated outside, it was brought inside to dry, clay and dry again.

[​IMG]

Claying the vehicle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the car was completely contamination free, it was time for a very thorough drying off.

[​IMG]

Now, onto the defects, and probably the worst area on the car, the boot lid.

[​IMG]

Some nice deep marks for me to polish.

[​IMG]

So, as I was very conscious about how much clear coat might have been removed before, I was constantly taking readings with the PTG.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

That's quite a lot of clear to take off, but the marks in this area were incredibly severe. One or two marks remained but with having already removed a fair amount, I did not want to sacrifice anymore for the sake of one or two marks.

Here you can see the main culprit here. The edges have been rounded a lot, but there are two marks left.

[​IMG]

Under the sun gun

[​IMG]

Before paint correction under the sun gun.

[​IMG]

After paint correction under the sun gun and an IPA wipe down. The panel was also allowed to completely cool.

[​IMG]

So, I was happy with these results, some marks are just too deep to remove.

Onto the rest of the car, the bonnet took me almost 5 hours to complete to a level I was happy with. I'd like to emphasise this is a true correction performed as always at Miglior Detailing. Proper IPA wipedowns, multiple sets, no fillers etc. Im fed up of reading defect removal write ups where people clearly rely on filling properties of compounds, or don't provide a full account of the story or don't post any pics of the paintwork under light sources. I always try my best to show the correction work in its truest fashion with lots of pictures under multiple light sources etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After shots of the bonnet with the Sun gun & an IPA wipe down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Onto the drivers side wing.

[​IMG]

After, again a mark left in there unfortunately, but still a huge difference. This is just me being completely honest, and trying to establish not all marks can be safely removed from a 5-year-old car with very very deep marks.

[​IMG]

Here are a series of before and after pictures after paint correction from around the rest of the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now moving onto the front bumper. This was done in an afternoon. There was polish residue everywhere, plus the defects on there meant it took me a very long time to complete this to a level I was happy with.

The plastic areas on the car didn't have any buffer trails on because the previous "detailer" "doesn't do plastics"

Cleaned, corrected and IPA wipe down resulting in perfect paint even right up to panel gaps, crevices and ridges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front face of bumper

[​IMG]

The front number plate was removed and polished underneath.

[​IMG]

Wool pad being used to keep the temps down on the thin plastic panels.

[​IMG]

Heavy defects and a lot of polish residue…

[​IMG]

After! This is how any detailer performing a paint correction detail should leave the paint, even in tight small areas.

[​IMG]

A representation of the smoothness of the paintwork after paint correction under a fluorescent strip light.

[​IMG]

Front face before with sun gun

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Another sun gun after shot.

[​IMG]

Small area of the bumper under metal halide lighting to show defects removed.

[​IMG]

Other wing… Again, a few defects left after removing significant but a safe amount of clear coat.

[​IMG]

Moving onto the roof. It was pretty clear that in its life, plenty of items have been rested on the roof, like keys, bags and coats. This left a lot of random deep scratches, especially above the driver's door.

[​IMG]

Roof After

[​IMG]

Remember the polish and wax residue I mentioned from the previous detailer, well I had to tidy it all up before I did my polishing sets it was bugging me that much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With that done, I could tape up properly and get on with my polishing stages.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the driver's side sill before.

[​IMG]

And after

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Some more defects around the car!

[​IMG]

Here is the lower side rear bumper! Nice!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50 Shot

[​IMG]

Even after about 3-4 sets, some deeper marks had to be left, but the difference is phenomenal. This area looked so dull before.

50/50 With The Sun Gun.

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Once the bulk of the panels were done, I started with the little details and areas still needing attention.

[​IMG]

So after that very heavy correction work, there was a LOT of dust knocking about the car!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car was taken outside for another wash.

Even full of dust, the car has the sharpest reflections, depth and gloss it ever has.

[​IMG]

Snow foamed

[​IMG]

After the car was washed & pressure rinsed, I sheeted the water off with an open-ended hose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now back into the unit for a blow dry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car was given another IPA wipe down, and I started to get the finishing touches together on the car.

Swissvax Seal feed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paint cleanser preparing for final sealant and waxing.

[​IMG]

Exhausts polished and sealed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we are buffing off the Swissvax Autobahn wheel sealant.

[​IMG]

Dressing the tyres with Swissvax Pneu.

[​IMG]

The interior was given a lite interior detail and here the car is finished after its sealant and Swissvax Best Of Show!

[​IMG]

After all that hard work, I really wanted to get some nice photos outside, and luckily I had a quick sunny window!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final Shot!

[​IMG]

Thanks very much for reading guys, I hope you enjoyed it and stuck with me! It was a long one!!

[​IMG]

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

looks great!

3. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Great job!

4. TurboJoe

TurboJoe DB Forum Supporter

"Paint cleanser preparing for final sealant and waxing."

Just out of curiosity, are you using Cleaner Fluid on a rotary for this step?

5. freefallin2000

freefallin2000 Birth of a Detailer

6. bvhbmw

bvhbmw Birth of a Detailer

fantastic work. you really saved this car.

just curious, did you price this at a fixed price up front or adjust based on the hours involved?

also, i'll bet the engine bay was a mess - did you detail it?

7. tommy

tommy Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Great work.............again.

8. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

superb job!

9. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Great job! Looking good, always nice to see a detailed write up from ya..

10. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

Looks great. Where did you get that yellow hose attachment in the "sheeting" pic?

11. kakeuter

kakeuter DB Forum Supporter

Quality work done there, nice turnaround!

-Kody-

12. aowheels

aowheels DB Pro Supporter

Great Write Up! Great Work!

13. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Very nice!

14. ericeng2

ericeng2 Two Bucket System Washer

wow. awesome work. Just wondering, how did you correct that rear bumper? What pad and anything else did you use? Thanks

15. Miglior

Miglior DB Pro Supporter

Yes, cleaner fluid pro

16. Miglior

Miglior DB Pro Supporter

I get a good idea of how long things take these days, so its a fixed price. If I'm half an hour over it, I'm not too fussed.

17. Miglior

Miglior DB Pro Supporter

In the UK, those are our standard hose attachments. All thats happening is .... hose (30meters) then female adaptor .... male adaptor then an off cut of hose ;)

18. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Stunning work!