▀▄ Miglior Detailing: Huge 70 hour Correction detail - Audi Q7 "Van"!!! ▄▀

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Miglior, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Miglior

Miglior DB Pro Supporter

[​IMG]
    Please take the time to view our full website!!
    Detailing In Lancashire Manchester & North West - Miglior Detailing!
    If you want to see daily update and photos, please follow us! Links are below!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Audi Q7 - Huge Detail on Huge Audi Beast

So I got a phone call a while back from a long standing customer, "can you do the works on my wife's van?" Now, I generally know what cars my customers own so I was surprised when this particular customer asked me to do his wife's van, I didn't know she had one!

The customer came to unit to drop it off, and all became clear!

"Van?" I said
    "Well, yeah she uses it like one" was the reply! ;)

So lets get a good look at this Audi Q7! It was owned by my customer since new and has been held onto because its been a good solid car for them, no problems to speak of really. Rather than chop it in they decided they would inject some life into it and bring it back to standard and keep for a while longer.

Here goes…

This car was booked in for:
    - Full Correction detail to remove around 95-99% of the defects, sometimes more
    - Full wheel refurbishment & Wheel colour change
    - Full interior & Leather detail
    - Fit some new genuine Audi Parts

Here is the car upon arrival.

[​IMG]

Nasty Scratch on rear arch

[​IMG]

Buffer trails/Swirls/Pigtails Galore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The interior wasn't looking to clever either!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So fast forward all the washing and decontamination stages, you've seen it all before!

Here we are straight in at the deep end of the correction work!

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to get the wheels off and the car on the vehicle lift

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50/50 shot here demonstrating the fact I couldn't get out some of the deeper RDS marks out. Well, I could have got them out, but having considered the paint depth, this would not have left a comfortable amount of clear coat. To remove these when you consider the vehicles possible future use, to me is nothing more than vandalism. There is no point blindly carrying on removing clear coat if there isn't a safe amount left for the future. Another point to think about, would the customer be happy with present correction amount? In this particular case, absolutely. He was delighted. If the vehicle was a very rare vehicle or something that would be a show car etc from now on, then it might be worth working on these RDS. But as this was going to carry on being a daily driver, this was a perfect outcome.

I think its important to show a bit of reality in the industry, some people think its always safe to do a full correction. In reality, sometimes you need to take a safer approach on very deep marks like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front end masked up ready for correction!

[​IMG]

Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to the passenger side! Grrr….!

When my customer originally spoke to me about this "van" he mentioned one side it due to be resprayed due to some non fault accident damage. With this in mind, the customer was hoping for a cheaper bill from me. He thought that brand new paint would mean it would like, well new! I mentioned straight away that depending on the body shop, it could make my life harder and take just as long as a full correction. With that in mind, there wouldn't me any discounts on my rates because of the paint. The customer went to the body shop, which is one of the biggest in manchester and must have cost a fortune, literally millions of pounds spend on this facility, so the customer was confident the job would be spot on and not much work would be needed to get it to my standard.

The following photos will re-affirm my first thoughts. The job had a lot to be desired.

[​IMG]

These are not just buffer trails, the middle shows a huge dull area of sanding marks and pigtails. What a mess! The body shop had no knowledge of the vehicle coming to my unit after the paintwork, this was left like I guess they would leave any car. This was sent out of their doors to the customer like this! It just goes to show, huge well equipped body shops are not a reflection of the quality of work! This is one of the biggest body shops in manchester! (and no, I won't name and shame before you ask, sorry)

Some areas needed machine sanding again just to smooth things over, so these were done on a combination of discs/pads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a very close up shot of a ridge line where a lot of sanding marks were left in the paint. This type of thing is just pure laziness. We spent a lot of time making sure all areas were looked after. We also try hard to show you how much work goes into these type of jobs. Sorting an area like this can take time!

[​IMG]

Again, another very close shot under metal halide lighting to show all these marks were removed

[​IMG]

Look at the paint flake now!

Around to some other areas of the car now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With years of heavy use, the roof rails and other ali trims were looking a little tired. These were machine polished too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The door trims were also sorted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So after just before packing up on day 3 (or 4?!) I took some shots… The paint is coming alive again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day the wheels were ready!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, The interior!

The interior of the car was one of the main concerns for the owner. They have a very active family life, and the kids have a lot of sporting engagements all throughout the week. They also have horses/stables so with this being a daily drive, the state the interior gets it pretty special! They wanted the full works and I spent over a day just on the interior removing trim/seats and dog hairs!

[​IMG]

:(

The rest of the write up will be online soon, please check back! Left my other memory card at the unit :( its worth the wait, it was a state!

Thanks for reading this guys!

I’ve got a lot of write-ups to come, keep your eyes peeled!

Jay

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks to the guys @ Meguiar's, Autoglym, Collinite, Insta Finish, Poorboy's, Dodo Juice, ValetPro, Einszett, Chemical Guys, Eurow, Lake, Kestrel, RainX - the best car care - Shinearama for always keeping me stocked up with the latest detailing awesomeness ☺

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

great job! I have a thing for Audi Q7's

3. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

Looking forward to the rest!

4. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

Holy freaking hell that thing was thraaaaaaaaaaaaashed!!!! You guys do amazing work!!!!!

5. hostage1978

hostage1978 DB Forum Supporter

Not only is your work amazing, you do a perfect job documenting what you do.

6. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

wicked work on that passenger door!

7. 3PedalMINI

3PedalMINI DB Forum Supporter

Incredible Attention to detail and some real talent you have. Thanks for sharing! :worship2:

8. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

Sweetness! What did you use on the passenger door to correct it?

9. blongo804

blongo804 DB Forum Supporter

That resprayed side looked like a nightmare. Fantastic job!

10. Miglior

Miglior DB Pro Supporter

[​IMG]
    Please take the time to view our full website!!
    Detailing In Lancashire Manchester & North West - Miglior Detailing!
    If you want to see daily update and photos, please follow us! Links are below!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Back on with it……

[​IMG]

Now the exterior is back to near a finished standard, it was time to really really annihilate the interior!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here are some before and afters

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that’s all wrapped up, the car is ready for some protection, and collection by the owner!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading this guys!

Jay

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks to the guys @ Meguiar's, Autoglym, Collinite, Insta Finish, Poorboy's, Dodo Juice, ValetPro, Einszett, Chemical Guys, Eurow, Lake, Kestrel, RainX - the best car care - Shinearama for always keeping me stocked up with the latest detailing awesomeness ☺

11. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

what is your setup for metal hallide lighting?

Beautiful work! Really great job, and amazing documentation of it!!

12. sydtoosic

sydtoosic Birth of a Detailer

amazing job...

13. G s2ki

G s2ki Virgin Detailer

great job - looks great

14. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Once again great work :)

15. zmcgovern45

zmcgovern45 Virgin Detailer

I just had my mind blown... amazing work!

16. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Absolutely stunning, still one of my favorite SUVs out there.