’52 Chevy Truck, Paint Correction and CQuartz Finest Application

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by RaskyR1, Jul 25, 2014.

1. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

This truck belongs to a good client of mine who was looking to have Finest applied to it after having me do his new C7. The truck itself was absolutely beautiful, and you could really tell that the shop who built it had put a lot of time and pride into the restoration. However, it was finished back in 2009, so after 5 years there was a good amount of swirls that had accumulated as well as some deeper scratches too, many which required an additional pass or two to remove. It was originally scheduled for a 2-step correction, but I ended up doing a little more than that on most the truck and all the small intricate areas, not to mention the sheer amount of surface area, really added up on the clock. In total I had around 45hrs into this job and achieved about 95% correction.

Rather than hit it really hard, my go to for correction was HD Adapt on the Rupes 21 with Megs MF Finishing pads. While this combo cut a little slower and required an additional pass or two on the deeper scratches than a more aggressive process, it also produced little to no dust, finished down virtually LSP ready, and it made remaining defects very easy to see.
    [​IMG]

Some 50/50 shots after compounding, no fishing polish yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside of the bed was also polished. I chose to use small offset machines here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swirls on the top of the front bumper panels.
    [​IMG]

After Adapt on the G110v2 with 3” MF Cutting pads. You can see this combo didn’t finish as well as the Rupes 21 and MFFP combo, but still an easy clean up with a finishing polish.
    [​IMG]

Door and hood compounded, cowl was done with the G110v2 and 3” MF cutting pads.
    [​IMG]

The areas around the box were the most challenging, especially just above the wheel wells.
    [​IMG]

I carefully used my Rupes TA50 to polish these areas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fenix LED shot after using Rupes 21 and HD Adapt and MFFP
    [​IMG]

Final polishing was done with HD Polish. Car was wiped down with Earser and then 2 coats of CQF were applied.

Finished pics….lots of them! :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did a quick polish on the wheels by hand with HD Metal, nothing crazy though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fenix LED
    [​IMG]

Brinkmann Dual Xenon
    [​IMG]

Finally I get some good sun pics of a car! Yea!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading home
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking,
    Rasky

2. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

theres something about those old trucks, just awesome.

Well done!, thats some great attention to detail and technique!

RaskyR1 likes this.
  3. JordanL

JordanL Virgin Detailer

Awesome job Rasky!

RaskyR1 likes this.
  4. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

You have been working on some cool stuff lately

RaskyR1 likes this.
  5. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Thanks guys! :)

Yeah, unfortunately they tend to take more time than I typically have on a weekend and I end up having to take time off from my normal job to finish them. I don't usually mind, but when it's 3 cars back to back like that, you tend to get a little burnt out working so much. :(

6. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

Gah, that truck is something else.

RaskyR1 likes this.
  7. tigerwash

tigerwash New Member

Awesome truck! That red really sets it off!!

RaskyR1 likes this.
  8. bentley147

bentley147 Jedi Nuba

i see u got custom pads

RaskyR1 likes this.